Campus Crime

On May 25 at around 3 a.m., an officer was dispatched in response to an armed robbery call at 1049 Hemphill Avenue. The officer met four victims, only three of which were current Tech students. The group included three men and one woman. One of the victims reported that he and a second man were on the front porch when three black males wearing black clothing, purple medical gloves and black bandanas over their faces jumped onto the porch and attempted to force the two into the house at gunpoint.

A struggle between the first victim and one of the assailants ensued, with both falling off the side of the porch into the grass. The victim then escaped and ran to the City Cafe on 505 Tenth Street to alert the police.

The other two assailants had forced the second victim into the house and taken his wallet and cell phone. The two remaining victims, who had been asleep, were woken up by the sounds coming from the living room. One of the two sleeping victims entered the living room with a baseball bat, which was promptly confiscated by the armed robbers. The robbers then ran out and disappeared down an alleyway, dropping a wallet in the living room as they escaped. Nothing in it was missing and no injuries were reported.

On May 29, an officer observed a suspicious black male walking through the parking lot of the Student Center Commons. The man, matched the description of a person reported to have been loitering around a bicycle rack on campus. The officer then found a small glass tube on Holland’s person, which the suspect claimed was used to smoke drugs. Nothing, however, was located inside the tube. The officer ran a check on and discovered that the North Las Vegas Police Department had issued a warrant for him in reference to grand larceny. The NLVPD declined extradition; the loiterer was given a verbal criminal trespass warning and released.