String of robberies hits center of campus

The recent outbreak of armed robberies on the periphery of campus made its way to the interior Monday when two students were robbed at gunpoint while walking through Mechanical Engineering Alleyway near the Skiles building and behind the Coon building.

According to a crime alert released by GTPD, the victims were walking in the Alleyway when the suspect approached them from behind and showed a silver semi-automatic handgun. The suspect demanded the students hand over their wallets and bookbags, and after the victims complied, the suspect ran off.

The incident follows armed robberies that occurred on the periphery of campus March 14, and twice on March 16, as well as a strong-arm robbery March 22.

The suspect in the most recent incident is described in the alert as a black male with a dark complexion, slender build, approximately 5’10” to 5’11” with a black hoodie, dark blue jeans and a ski mask. The weapon description matches that of the March 16 incidents, and the physical descriptions are similar as well. However, GTPD has not made any statement regarding whether these incidents are related.

According to a statement released by Officer Ian Mayberry of the GTPD Crime Prevention Unit, victims should comply with the demands of an attacker, particularly if the attacker has a weapon.

“Our current trend shows that those who were compliant and surrendered their belongings did not sustain injury,” Mayberry said.