From the files of the GTPD…

Dude, where’s my car?

On Feb. 2 at around 11:30 p.m., a Tech student notified the Tech police that his car had been stolen. The student had parked the car on Fourth St. near the Library. When discussing the incident with police, the student stated that he had parked the car on Sunday, Feb. 1 at 6 p.m., and when he returned to drive it the next day, it was gone. The student contacted the Parking office and verified that it was not towed.

The beige sedan was valued at $3,000. The student also stated that there was also a $40 bike rack and a $15 tape deck converter for an MP3 player in the car.

It wasn’t me?

On the morning of Jan. 25, the police stopped a black Mazda CX-9 after it failed to stop at a stop sign on the corner of Fowler and Fourth St. When the police made contact with the driver, they ran his driver’s license through the national database, and it was returned as a cancelled license with a prior suspension date. There was no serve date for the suspension and the car returned clear with no information regarding theft. The driver was issued an Official Notice of Personal Service, which he signed. A friend of the driver came to drive the car away.

The next day, the driver called stating that he spoke with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), who said that his cancelled license was a mistake.

The DMV stated that his license issue was resolved. The police ran the driver’s license through the database once more, and it came back valid. The police then returned the license to the driver.

FIRE!!!!!

On Feb. 1 at 10 p.m., police were called to Skiles Walkway regarding a fire on a community flyer billboard. The police arrived on the scene, but were unable to make contact with the person who called in the incident as he or she left the scene before the police arrived.

The billboard between the Skiles building and the Student Center was on fire. The police officer used a hand-held fire extinguisher to put out the small fire. No notable damage was observed to the structure.

GPS gone, car OK

On Jan. 30, police met with a student on the first level of the Family Housing parking deck regarding a car break-in. The student stated that around 8 p.m. that day he discovered that his 2004 compact sedan was entered by an unknown person.

The police inspected the vehicle and found that the car’s steering column had been damaged. The point of entry to the car appeared to be under the driver door handle. The vehicle was still functioning and drivable after a brief test drive. The student also mentioned that the only valuable item in the car was a TomTom GPS unit valued at around $200.

The Police Department will be hosting a town hall meeting for the campus community on Monday, Feb. 23 at 5:30 p.m. in the Student Center Theater.

Ian Mayberry, crime prevention officer, will be hosting the town hall. He would like to encourage all students, faculty and staff to attend this open forum.

On the agenda will be Recent Crime Trends, the Clean Car Campaign and also Community-Involved Policing.

Additionally, there will be discussion time for community questions and concerns. For any questions about the event, please direct them to Mayberry via e-mail at [email protected].