Council Clippings

This edition of Council Clippings covers the UHR and GSS meetings from Feb. 10, 2009.

AIAS South Quad Conference

Tech’s chapter of the American Institute of Architecture Students (AIAS) is hosting the Southern Region Conference with Southern Polytechnic State University.

Students from 42 universities will attend the conference, which will feature multiple events around Atlanta. Richard Meyer will deliver the keynote address.

In the GSS, the bill was reduced per JFC recommendations, removing funding for programs and venue costs for portions of the event held at the Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center. The bill passed GSS 29-1-0.

In UHR, the bill was amended per JFC, and programs were added back into the bill. The bill passed 31-2-1, and will go to conference committee for consensus.

SCUBA trip to Cozumel

This week, members of SCUBA Tech returned to SGA to defend a bill for its spring break diving trip.

The original bill passed both houses but was vetoed by Aaron Fowler, graduate student body president, and went to conference committee.

The conference committee bill that returned had been trimmed significantly, but in GSS, it was seen as a subsidized trip for spring break.

After being advised by Fowler that blocking the bill would require the bill carrying the senate and being vetoed, the bill passed GSS 19-8-3.

In UHR, the bill passed 19-8-3. In the GSS, they removed the $1,068 used to pay for travel costs and passed the bill 14-12-1. Fowler later vetoed the bill.

The UHR passed the bill 19-11-2, without any changes. The bill will be sent to conference committee to find a consensus between the UHR and the GSS decisions.

Women’s Rugby Equipment

The Women’s Rugby Team presented a bill that requested $2,190 in funding for equipment as required by its league, USA Rugby.

Chartered in 2006, the team currently uses uniforms from the men’s team, which are sometimes unwashed. For league play, the team would like its own light and dark jerseys.

The bill also had provisions to fund other equipment, such as tackling dummies and tackling pads.

In the GSS, the organization was congratulated and the bill was called immediately to question, passing 22-2-0. The bill also passed UHR 34-0-0 without any modifications.

Each Tuesday, elected members of the two houses of the Student Government Association, the Undergraduate House of Representatives (UHR) and the Graduate Student Senate (GSS), convene to consider allocation bills and discuss issues facing campus. Here is a summary of those two meetings.