News Briefs

Ga. colleges temporarily lose Facebook access

The popular networking website Facebook was inaccessible for a brief period last Wednesday from Tech, Kennesaw State University and the University of Georgia. The fact that the site was still accessible from outside of campus fueled rumors that the block was imposed by the universities.

However, an official from the Board of Regents denied that the outage was deliberate. “There is no reason to believe that the traffic was blocked locally, and I can assure you that it was not blocked on PeachNet,” said Ed Maioriello, an IT official with the Board of Regents.

Transcripts released from terror suspect, former student

Statements made by a former Tech student and played in a federal court last week revealed the student’s involvement in creating “casing videos” that could be used in planning “some kind of terrorist act.”

Syed Haris Ahmed is a former Mechanical Engineering undergraduate student who was arrested in 2006 and is charged with providing material support to a terrorist group. He is alleged to have been in communciation with terrorist groups and to have sent them photographs of buildings in Washington, D.C.

He said in a signed statement, “I hoped to be recruited into a Jihadi training camp where I could learn how to fight Muslim oppressors everywhere.” He also reportedly met with extremists in both Pakistan and Toronto..