Fall 2024 All Majors Career Fair

Photo by Tyler Parker, Student Publications

The all-majors career fair, which ran from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sept. 9 and 10, was located on the 4th floor of the Campus Recreation Center (CRC). Over 250 companies attended the fair, with a variety of industries represented, including tech, medicine, law and everything in between. 

Hundreds of students gathered outside the CRC at 10 a.m. Monday waiting to enter the building the odd student in workout clothes stood out among a sea of students wearing business professional. Inside, the floor was packed wall-to-wall with stands for each company. Students waited in long lines to talk to prospective employers, and energetic conversation filled every corner. Large companies like Delta and Honda seemed to be the most popular.

The all-majors career fair is an opportunity for students of all disciplines to strut their stuff for real-world industry professionals. Not only does the fair provide students exposure to new industries, but it also helps them to solidify their professional persona and experiment with what works when it comes to job hunting. 

The fair is a great place to practice people skills, network and figure out how to hand over a resume with as little awkwardness as possible. In order to make the most of the fair, students must also learn to utilize their limited time with recruiters effectively.

The motivation for many attending the career fair was simple: to get an interview. But Tech is known for setting a high bar — what differentiates a student in an atmosphere of excellence? Brooks Dishman, a Senior Engineer for Delta, spoke of his own recruitment process. 

“I want a student who is going to put their all into getting better at a job every day. The two characteristics that are consistent in those students are a passion for aviation and a passion for learning,” Dishman said. 

This sentiment, an appreciation for passion and open-mindedness, was echoed by other recruiters. 

Another trait that sets a person apart is curiosity. Asking prospective employers thoughtful, research-based questions gives them more insight into who you are and allows you an opportunity to receive valuable information about a career path. After all, interviewing is a two-way street — as much as a potential employer needs to learn about you, you also need to make sure you learn about the company. 

Questions about a company’s culture, its values and what your day-to-day would look like are extremely helpful when determining whether the job is a good fit for you. These questions also show a recruiter that you’re prepared, and you care. Dishman shares the best question he has ever heard from a candidate: “Is there anything about this interview that would make you hesitant to hire me?” Dishman said this question is excellent because it demonstrates self-awareness and a capacity for growth and invites helpful constructive criticism. 

Jen Cook, a Diversity Recruiting Manager from Texas Instruments, encourages students to consider the fact that recruiters often meet with hundreds of people a day at events like this. She explains how the most successful students contact her again after their first meeting with the same introduction and a reminder of where she’s seen them before. 

“After one or two impressions — or a follow-up LinkedIn request — I’ll start to remember people. That respectful persistence is great,” Cook said.

Of the ten different recruiters interviewed by the Technique, most responded that they hire about 5-15% of the students they speak to at career fairs. One reported a number within that range, but clarified that it jumped to 30% at Tech’s career fairs specifically.

“Tech is unique on a level of professionalism. Tech teaches students how to handle the elevator pitch conversation, hand a resume over and explain why they’re a good fit in a way that other schools don’t,” Dishman said. 

When surveyed, 32% of students responded that they received at least one interview from the fair, once again proving it to be an incredible resource. 

If you missed the all-majors career fair, don’t worry! Tech is an extremely career-oriented environment and is hosting multiple major-specific fairs this month and many more throughout the year. 

All of the companies present at the all-major fair were, above all else, excited about meeting students. As many of the recruiters are Tech alumni themselves, they understand the hard work and the care that goes into being a student, and they want to see you succeed. Lauren Widjaja, IE ‘22 and Industrial Engineer at W. L. Gore & Associates, offered a few reminders to students. 

“Be brave. Be confident. As much as it might seem intimidating to walk up to a complete stranger and ask for a job, we’re also just humans, and we’re here to get to know you,” Widjaja said.

If you’re interested in attending upcoming GT career fairs, check out the following!

Biomedical Engineering Career Fair – 9/16

ISYE Career Fair – 9/16

Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) Fair – 9/17

ASME/ME Career Fair – 9/17

Aerospace Engineering Fair – 9/18

Biomedical Engineering Virtual Fair – 9/18

Civil and Environmental Engineering Career Expo – 9/19

School of Building Construction Career Fair – 9/24

School of Industrial Design Career Fair – 10/28
Georgia Association of Colleges and Employers 2024 Statewide Career Fair – 10/30