GTC hosts a photography workshop in Skiles

Students practice their newfound camera skills with one another during the workshop. In alignment with GTC’s goal of inclusivity, the event was open to all regardless of their level of experience and welcomed beginners. // Photo by Alexey Tatarinov Student Publications

Grainy videos, baggy clothes and new music. The newest “cool kid” on the block, Georgia Tech Creatives (GTC) hosted a photography workshop on double exposure and motion blur techniques on Friday, Sept. 29
in the Skiles building. 

The workshop required no experience and was open to the entire Tech community. While the first half of the event went over the basics of double exposure and motion blur, photographers had the opportunity to put this knowledge into action by practicing on the in-house models on a white canvas during the second half. 

For novice photographers who usually use their phones as their cameras, professional digital single-lens reflex (DSLR) cameras and strobe lighting was provided. GTC also went through a PowerPoint presentation that explained the exposure triangle and other basics of photography.

A group of photographers also ventured beyond Skiles and stepped out to capture the campus during the golden hour. Photographers experimented with different angles as the models tried different poses to experiment with their individual artistic styles.

When asked about the inspiration behind this workshop, Calvin Jaguna, third-year BMED who led the workshop, reported  that GTC had received positive feedback on their last photography workshop held in fall 2022.

“This time, we wanted to be a little bit more niche and teach some more stylistic aspects of photography,” Jaguna said of the recent event’s goals. 

Akbar Khan, fourth-year ARCH and GTC co-founder explained that “we wanted to pay more attention and go one-on-one with everyone” in reference to the workshop’s structure and purpose.

However, the workshop was not conducted in a typical sit-down setting with lectures and notes, going beyond the act of clicking a shutter button.  

Proving a social element, the event saw photographers exchange socials, share projects and gain more appreciation for their work, all while the latest music played in the background.

Although the Institute’s general focus is towards technology, the event went beyond the typical STEM topics, which students like Joe Gaffigan, fourth-year IAML, reported enjoying.

“Not only are they inclusive to all levels of skill and knowledge, but they are a great way to network and meet other photographers in Atlanta,” Gaffigan said.

GTC is one of the campus outlets that helps its members discover and indulge in their creative passions. With no required experience, dues or applications, their events attract Jackets, dressed in their best to groove to new music, enjoy exhilarating performances or hone their creative skills.

Their past events have featured Atlanta-based rappers, artists and designers and have hosted art pop-ups. Last year, they sold the work of over 18 of their creatives at the Atlanta Streetwear Market. Collaborating with GT Arts, they also hosted Beyonce’s choreographer, Joe Brown, for a dance workshop outside of Ferst Art Center in May. Their fall 2023 kickoff saw approximately 230 people turn up, filling the theater to capacity. Their next event, called the Creator’s Collective, will be hosted on Oct. 20, and those interested can find more information on their Instagram at @gtcreatives. 

GTC president, Lekha Gowda 4th-year CS, and Khan met at a photoshoot. They started talking about their creative passions, and the lack of a community and opportunities for creative-minded individuals at the Institute. 

“You would think that it [would be] hard because [Tech is] so STEM-focused … but since a creative community on campus was really lacking, people jumped on our idea when we got our name out,” said Khan when asked about the formation of GTC.

“There is nothing that [has] brought us together besides [our creative passion] … that wasn’t being fulfilled on campus,” Gowda added to the conversation.

GTC has a knack for connecting like-minded individuals with similar goals — musicians have met producers, and photographers have forged relationships with models through the organization. 

“We wish to promote such collaborations via our organization,” said Gowda. They started their Instagram account in February 2022 and have gone on to collect 2.1k [2,100] followers since. Speaking about the future, Gowda and Khan are determined to make GTC an Atlanta name.“The goal is to just get bigger and bigger and bigger,” Gowda said.  

Through GTC, the Institute now has another community that prioritizes creativity, artistic expression and a good time. 

Students looking to get involved can attend their weekly General Body Meetings every Tuesday at 6:30 in room L1255 of the Ford Environmental Science & Technology building.