Advice from and for Tech upperclassmen

Photo courtesy of Blake Israel

“Whatcha got going on here?” 

This is one of the phrases that has made the most substantial  impact on me during my time here at the Institute. 

Around campus, there are a plethora of clubs and organizations tabling, hoping to share their clubs and
upcoming events. 

When I see these tables, I like to go and find out what the organization is about and explore the different things that Tech has to offer. 

One day during my sophomore year, I came across an interesting car, so I approached them with this same question. 

It was the Georgia Tech Solar Racing team, and they were preparing for their upcoming recruitment class. I got to talk to several of the members of their team, and it sparked my interest in joining. 

After talking to them, I quickly became part of the team and took part in  a variety of opportunities: working on exciting projects with cutting-edge technology, taking on new leadership opportunities and going to competitions.  

The point of this story is not to say that you must go around to every table you see around campus and ask them a similar question, but it is important to be open to trying new things and opportunities around the Tech community. 

Before I came to Tech, I did not have plans of joining the solar racing team, but doing so has allowed me to grow in new ways and find areas that I am passionate about. 

After all, college is a time when we get to explore, grow and find who we are and what we enjoy spending our time doing. 

We come in with ideas of what we want to be involved with during our college years. However, as we find all the different parts of Tech that make it special, we find new things that excite us.  

This does not make it wrong; it is just different from what we may have had planned. 

Ultimately, it is about how we can be involved in separate areas of campus but connect them to make up our own unique story. 

As we progress through our stories, there will be bumps along the road, but do not let that waver your confidence. Stay confident in your own abilities, and remember that you have reached  this point because you have what it takes. 

Everyone is here to support and help you, so you are never alone. Do not be afraid to ask others for help or guidance any step of the way. Lastly, enjoy your time as a Yellow Jacket. 

I am writing today as a senior; the years really do go by fast. Take part in all the fun traditions around campus, try the new restaurant in Midtown and go on that adventure with your friends.

Though balance is key, make fun, meaningful memories. This mindset will help you make the most of your own journey to becoming a Helluva Engineer!