Sumer 2023 List of Events at the Institute

As the hustle and bustle of the Institute slows during the summer,  campus life quietsdown in comparison to the hectic academic year. However, for students living on-campus during the summer months, it is important to find activities to avoid boredom. Here are some campus events for those still in the Atlanta area.

NBA game 4 watch party

The Student Center Programs Council (SCPC) will be hosting a watch party for Game 4 of the NBA Finals (Denver Nuggets vs Miami Heat) on Friday, June 9 from 8:30-11 p.m. Hosted in Tech Rec on the first floor of the Student Center, the free event is open to all and no tickets are required.  Free food and beverage will be provided as well as a raffle give away for 2 tickets to Six Flags that can be used for SCPC’s Georgia Tech Night at Six Flags event in the fall. For further information, those interested can message SCPC on their Instagram account @gtscpc.

pride rally

Celebrate Pride Month this year with the Georgia Tech Pride Alliance and Atlanta Pride on Saturday,  June 17. The Pride Rally will be held on Tech Green from 1-3 p.m. This free, community-oriented event will be hosted to honor the legacy of those involved in the Stonewall Riots of 1969 that marked the first Pride. Various speakers will present during the rally. This event is open to members of the LGBTQIA+ community seeking community and for allies looking to celebrate and help amplify voices. For further information, those interested can email the Georgia Tech Pride Alliance at [email protected].

queer coffeehouse

To close out the month of June, the LGBTQIA+ Resource Center will be hosting a Queer Coffeehouse  on Thursday, June 29 from 11 a.m.-12 p.m. in Smithgall 140 . This meeting’s prompt is “What were some of your takeaways? Come discuss what you learned this pride month. All perspectives are welcome!” 

A recurring event hosted by the Center, the Queer Coffeehouse is a safe space for queer Jackets looking for solace and community and covers a range  of topics at the intersection of queerness, academics, identity, dating and politics. The event will be hosted and moderated by assistant director William Britto. For further information, those interested can email [email protected].

sky happiness retreat

The SKY Happiness Retreat will be held from Friday, June 23 to Sunday, June 25 in the Centennial Suite (120 North Avenue NW, Atlanta, GA) and is a well-being training offered to  students, faculty and staff. The retreat offers visitors the chance to gain “foundational stress-management skills, develop a personal evidence-based breathing and meditation practice, learn a short personal yoga practice and increase social connection and leadership skills” and can be a great way for students to learn relaxation techniques.

While the event is normally $125 for students, a limited number of students will be able to register for $65 on a first-come-first-served basis, which includes lunch and yoga mats provided.  Recommended attire is comfortable clothing. For further information, those interested can reach out to [email protected] or call 832-787-2815 upon registration.

tech topology

For  those interested in math and science, the Institute is hosting its second annual topology summer school from Saturday, June 24 to Wednesday, June 28. Mini-courses will be taught by Adam Clay (University of Manitoba), Sarah Rasmussen (University of Cambridge) and Rachel Roberts (Washington University in St. Louis). In addition to the mini-courses, there will be research presentations and a round of lightning talks on this year’s theme of the L-space conjecture by a range of professors from around the nation.

Those looking for further information or to register for the event in advance can do so at sites.gatech.edu/ttss23/registration.

PACE PYTHON 101

Georgia Tech’s Partnership for an Advanced Computing Environment (PACE) is offering to teach Python coding skills for free. The event, hosted online on July 20 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., is a beginner friendly “101” course that “introduces PACE users to analyzing scientific and engineering data using Python in a Hands-On course. Instruction focuses on basic Python skills and key features of the NumPy and Matplotlib libraries through a data analysis example.”

No prior knowledge of Python is expected or assumed, however, registration by 11:59 p.m. on the evening prior is required. Those interested can reach out to Michael Weiner at [email protected] for more information. Those wishing to register can do so at b.gatech.edu/3o3mj7F.