GT Creatives presents semester launch event

A Beat Boys dancer spin on his head as his groupmates cheer him on and the crowd erupts into a thundering applause. The group delivered a blast from the past to onlookers with their ‘90s-style crew breakdance performance full of gravity-defying moves. // Photo by Alex Dubé Student Publications

Last Friday at 6:00 p.m., GT Creatives (GTC), also known as “the place where creatives go” opened their doors to all in invitation to their semester kickoff event.

The two hour show was held in the DramaTech Theater and showcased a range of Tech students’ creative side.

Hip-hop break dancing, interpretive dance form, rap, R&B song performances and animation were a few of the acts present.

Before the show began, spectators were briefly greeted by the executive board who encouraged them to take photos on the provided polaroid cameras to commemorate the event with friends. 

Polaroids could be kept by those who took them or entered into a collage on display.

GT Creatives co-founder and president, Lekha Gowda, third-year BA, greeted the crowd, explaining her journey from her native New Jersey to Atlanta.

Gowda stressed the “welcoming” and “supportive” environment that she felt was unique to Atlanta.

“In the area that I’m from, in New York … and New Jersey where the market is so saturated, unless you start dancing, singing, acting … whatever your passion is, when you’re five, six, seven, it’s almost impossible to break through,” Gowda said. 

Shortly after moving to Atlanta, Gowda connected with a local photographer and did her first photoshoot as a model with no prior experience.

“Six months later, I was signed,” Gowda said. 

It was in this spirit, GT Creatives was created: to foster a space where creatives of all backgrounds and aspirations could support one another in their pursuits. After an introduction of the spring 2023 executive board, the main presentation began, which consisted of  a rap performance from J-Royal, a breakdance number from the Beat Boys, a hip-hop performance from dance troupe GT Tekstyles  and a three song R&B set from ZAIRE.

Please enjoy this photo journal of the many creatives who shared their talents that evening with the Tech community.

The evening’s talented performers can be found on their respective Instagram accounts listed below:

J-Royal: @JRoyalOfficial

ZAIRE: @ZaireRouege

GT Tekstyles / Beat Boys: @GTtekstyles

GT Creatives: @GTCreatives