Cost comparison of popular housing options

Photo by James Messer, Student Publications

Deciding where to live can be difficult – especially when considering the cost of various options. To ease your stress a little this semester, the Technique has researched some of the many choices to compare the differing costs of living around campus.

On-Campus

There are many options to live on-campus at Tech. Apartments for four or six students such as those in Zbar, Maulding, Nelson-Shell and North Avenue cost approximately $4,829 per semester. Suites such as those in Woodruff range from $3,610 to $4,716 per semester depending on the number of rooms. Living on-campus is a great way to reduce costs as all apartments are fully furnished, utilities such as water and electricity are included and no additional transportation is needed to commute to class.

Inspire

Inspire, a brand new off-campus apartment complex located across the street from Bobby Dodd Stadium, is a popular option for students. Prices may vary, but generally range from $975 (five bedrooms and five bathrooms) to $1,515 (two bedrooms). Utilities are not included in the rent. Jackson McGill, second-year ME, enjoys the new amenities, including the gym, his balcony with a view of the Pencil Building and the roof access overlooking the city of Atlanta.

Home Park

Home Park, an Atlanta neighborhood located just north of Tech, offers some of the least expensive options for housing close to campus. In addition to rent, residents must typically pay for utilities such as electricity, water and Internet and may have to provide their own furniture. Current Home Park residents enjoy the flexibilities and freedoms of living in detached homes but warn others that the reliability of every landlord can’t be guaranteed. Unlike in an apartment complex, housing units in Home Park have different landlords, so getting to know your landlord before renting can be beneficial in creating a positive living situation. 

Catalyst

Located on Northside Drive just off West Campus, Catalyst offers apartments ranging in price from $1,079 per month (four bedrooms and four bathrooms) to $1,699 per month (one bedroom and one bathroom). Angelik Laboy, CS ‘21, enjoyed her apartment balcony and free street parking last semester but disliked the frequency of crime in the vicinity, continued construction and management inconsistencies.

UHouse

UHouse is one of several student housing options in Midtown. Prices typically range from $1,199 per month (four bedrooms and four bathrooms) to $1,749 (one bedroom and one bathroom), but current specials can reduce rent. Furniture, Internet services, water utilities fees and community amenities (such as a roof-top pool, entertainment area and clubroom) are included in the rent. As of Jan. 23, the deposit and application fee is waived for new residents.  

SQ5

SQ5 is a housing option for students in Midtown right off Tech Square. Rent ranges from $1,365 (a standard four bedrooms and four bathrooms) to $2,135 (one bedroom and one bathroom on the terrace level). There are premiums for higher floor placements. Utilities are not included in the monthly rent. Amenities include a rooftop courtyard and pool, club room and study spaces, among other features. 

Westmar Lofts

Westmar Lofts are located a bit further from campus on West Marietta Street. To accommodate for the distance, a free shuttle to campus is provided to residents. Additional amenities include a resort-style pool, basketball and volleyball courts and a rooftop running track. Monthly rent for apartments ranges from $735 per month (four bedrooms and four bathrooms) to $1,035 per month (an upgraded two bedrooms and two bathrooms). Utility prices are included in rent.

Paloma

Formerly known as Signature West Midtown, Paloma is located just one block from the CRC on West Campus. Monthly rent ranges from $1,099 (four bedrooms and four bathrooms) to $1,489 (one bedroom and one bathroom). 

Premium views of the pool, courtyard, Tech or downtown Atlanta are available for an additional fee. 

Amenities (such as a rooftop lounge, study lounges and grilling/picnic stations) are included in the monthly rent but utilities are not.