Making the most out of your summer plans

This summer, take advantage of time off of school to find a new hobby, work a service job or volunteer in your community for a cause you care about. // Photo by Garrett Shoemaker Student Publications

So maybe you did not land the perfect summer internship, or perhaps you are burnt out from taking 18 credit hours this semester.

While all of your friends will be living it up at GT Lorraine, you will be stuck at home, almost wishing for a hell week just to have something to do.

Just because you are not interning or taking classes this summer does not mean you can’t have a fun, productive or even career-advancing summer.

Gear up for our guide on making the most of your time off.

Get that bread

NCR and Google are not the end-all be-all for summer jobs. Yes, having really cool work experience to add to your resume would be ideal. But here’s a secret: internships are typically low-paying. Maybe working at a restaurant is not something you’d add to your LinkedIn, but tips add up and you can make up to several hundred dollars in a day just through your fakest, friendliest smile.

Retail jobs, such as Target, can pay around $15 a day. The chances of you working your way up the management chain in three months are low, but you’ll be able to earn enough to supplement your summer shopping addiction.

Give back

Another thing to add to your resume is volunteer work. More importantly, your heart will be full from supporting your community. Find an organization or a cause you actually care about — your work will not be fulfilling unless it speaks to you. Then, email finding out how you can get involved.

Maybe you love puppies and want to work at a local shelter. Or if the outside is your jam, find an opportunity to clean up your favorite trail. Very few people will turn away free work, so the volunteering opportunities are endless.

Find a new hobby

Walk into your favorite arts and crafts store, find a friendly face in uniform and simply ask “What is a fun new hobby for me to start?” Tell them a little about your interests, creativity and skill, and let them guide you towards a new beginning.

Crafting and DIYing can be a blast to take up time and make a few fun projects for you and your friends.

This same process can apply to a music store, where you can find a new instrument to learn or even the closest fitness studio, where you can start taking classes.

Enjoy your time

The key word in “summer break” is “break”. If you are not going to have a productive summer, at least have a fun one. Safely hang out with friends within driving distance. Go on a road trip. The summers of concerts and beaches may still be just out of reach, but once you have been vaccinated, travel to a new city and safely explore. Perhaps even create a summer bucket list of fun adventures to check off as the weeks go by.

Whatever you do, just do not sit around and let your time away from Tech pass you by.