Deliciously easy dorm recipes

Photo courtesy of Jacinta Lodge

Being a college student can be tough. Baking a cake can be tough. So naturally, baking a cake in college should also be tough, but that is not necessarily the case with these wonderful dorm room baking hacks.

So get out your best punny apron, find your favorite Instagram food filter and get ready to bake! After all, with the winter weather fast approaching, baking can be an easy way to get in the holiday spirit while keeping your dorm nice and toasty.

For these recipes, boxed cake mix is going to be your new best friend. Our favorites are red velvet and funfetti, but feel free to substitute whatever flavors you want.

Mothers always say to not eat dessert before dinner, but that doesn’t mean you cannot eat dessert for breakfast. Cake mix pancakes are super easy and super delicious. Not only will your roommates be jealous, but your tummy will be full and happy. Besides, this wonderful creation will make your dorm room smell like a Winter Wonderland.

For this recipe, you will need two cups of any flavor cake mix (we preferred red velvet), one egg, two tablespoons of vegetable oil and one cup of milk. Mix all of the wet ingredients together and then mix in the cake mix. Spray a skillet with non-stick spray and pour in small, circle shaped servings of your mix.

After two or three minutes, flip and repeat. Then eat up while they’re hot. You could even serve with syrup or butter.  For an extra delicious treat make your own “icing” (mix four ounces of cream cheese, 1/4 cup of powdered sugar, a splash of vanilla and some milk).

Cake does not just have to be a meal, though, it can also be a scrumptious and easy to make snack. If you’re in the mood for cake but not in the mood for baking, try this recipe for a cake dip. It’s like a mix between frosting and cake batter ice cream and heaven all put on the graham cracker or cookie of your choice.

Mix together cake mix (we loved funfetti for this recipe) with 2 cups of vanilla yogurt (choose greek for extra thickness) and one and a half cups of whipped cream or cool whip along with 1 teaspoon of vanilla extra and some rainbow sprinkles.

That is all there is. Just mix and eat! We found this recipe especially useful and delicious after a tough day of tests which is quite common at Tech.

These are just two examples of the wonder that is boxed cake mix. Armed with an arsenal of cake mixes, you can experiment for days with fun cupcakes, cookie bars or even just regular cakes.

Always make sure you add plenty of frosting and sprinkles too. The rainbow sprinkles will add flavor while adding a pop of color that even Chef Ramsey would be proud of.

Just remember, that with these few tips and ideas, you can have your cake and eat it too!