Breakfast and dessert for your dorm

Food: It is both delicious and necessary, but often, finding the perfect balance between nutritious, scrumptious, inexpensive and not ultra time-consuming can be tough. This is especially true when living in a college dorm.

Luckily, though, the Technique has managed to pull together a collection of easy recipes that would make even the most celebrated Food Network chef proud.

Breakfast may be the most important meal of the day, but it can also be the most overlooked. With almost fulfilling options like an uncooked Pop Tart or weird egg sandwich from a fast-food chain always near by, taking the time to make the breakfast of  champions may not seem worth it. Fortunately, we are here to tell you that it is.

An especially easy and inexpensive, and not to mention our favorite, option is a homemade granola bar. Sure, you could buy some Quaker guy’s box of six tiny granola bars with about three chocolate chips each. Or, you could take fifteen minutes tops and create the granola bar that will curb your hunger like a Snickers bar.

The ingredients for this “No Bake M&M Granola Bar” are both basic and easy to find. Of course, feel free to substitute your favorite additions too.

You will need two cups of old fashioned oats, one cup of Rice Krispies, 1/2 cup of chopped pretzels, 1/2 cup of M&Ms and 1/4 cup portions honey, peanut butter, butter and brown sugar.

Mix together the dry ingredients, and then melt the butters, honey and sugar in a medium sauce pan for 2-3 minutes. Then mix the dry ingredients in. Now add the entire mixture into a pan and let it set. After 30 minutes, your granola bars will be ready to eat and boy, will they be delicious!

Plus, if you make a bigger batch, you can have leftovers for weeks (or days if you eat like us).

Just think of the jealous stares you and your granola bars will get during that 8 a.m.

Dessert can also be especially tricky when you are living in a dorm room. There is no late night delivery for ice cream and cookies, and often, buying a whole cake for yourself can seem both expensive and sad.

Luckily, there are some easy recipes out that will settle your sweet tooth quickly and on a budget.

With the arrival of Autumn, fall flavors are especially near and dear to our hearts, which is why we are in love with an easy to bake, Microwave apple cake. It has only four ingredients and takes just over 15 minutes to bake. What a time to be alive!

You will need a microwave safe bowl or bundt pan if you are really dedicated. Additionally, this cake requires a box of yellow cake mix, 3 eggs, a can of apple pie filling and 1/2 cup of applesauce.

Mix all of the ingredients together in the bowl. Then, microwave for six minutes on high, turn the bowl and microwave for another six minutes. Then remove from the microwave, place a dish over the bowl, and let it stand for another five minutes. Just like that, an entire inexpensive but scrumptious cake is at your disposal. Share with your friends, or not.

Eating is almost always fun, but trying to find something to eat in a dorm room is not. By following these two recipes, even the most inept student chef can have meals that are as equally convenient as they are yummy.