Selby discusses life after famous speech

From the Institute’s brief representation on Jeopardy to the few great NFL alumni, it seems as if a different Tech student is in the news every other week. Throughout the past two weeks, this spot has been taken by second-year ME major Nick Selby for his so-called “epic” convocation speech. Almost overnight, the Tech student was featured on national news networks, received over 130,000 results on Google and was asked for his autograph and picture around every dining hall on campus. The Technique sat down and talked to the overnight sensation about life at Tech, his inspirations for his speech and his hypothetical alternative life as a superhero.

Technique:

First off, how were you initially chosen as the sophomore speaker? Did you apply or did they reach out to you?

Selby:

I applied in May by submitting a written abstract online along with several other students. Mine and a few others were selected to also submit audition tapes of the full speech. I did so, and was chosen as the speaker.

Technique:

What was your first thought when you realized that you had been chosen?

Selby:

This will be fun.

Technique:

In your speech, you gave the freshmen 10 helpful tips to have a successful time here at Tech. Do you remember what the best tip you received was when you were a freshman?

Selby:

“Do laundry often” is a pretty important one. I think the “remember why you’re here” is most important, though.

Technique:

Your love and enthusiasm for Tech is extremely evident throughout your entire speech. What about Tech initially led you to believe it was the right school for you?

Selby:

I was expecting a good engineering school without much potential for socializing. As it turns out, Tech is a great engineering school that has an incredibly exciting social scene.

Technique:

Everybody now knows you solely from this speech, but what other clubs and organizations have you been involved with on campus?

Selby:

I participate heavily in Solar Jackets, which is the school’s solar race car design, build and race team, as well as the PROX-1 satellite research group. I am also involved in a Grace Midtown bible study group called Housechurch.

Technique:

In your speech, you mention wanting to build an Iron Man suit several times. If you did become Iron Man, which villain would you fight first?

Selby:

This may be the best interview question I’ve been asked yet. I’m going to have to say Bluto from the Popeye cartoons. He was dumb.

Technique:

Perhaps the most memorable part of the speech was when the intense music began to play in the background. What was your inspiration for this part of the speech? Were you nervous to take such an unconventional approach before you knew how it would go over in front of the huge audience?

Selby:

Back in my hometown in Phoenix, I learned how to public speak with Desert Vista High School’s speech and debate team. One of my coaches there, Andy Stone, had performed a speech in college about science fiction literature that used the idea of the finale theme music. When I saw that speech, I thought it was the most amazing thing ever, so I asked him for his permission to use the idea in my own conclusion. He very graciously agreed, and everyone loved it.

Technique:

The video of your speech quickly went viral and has appeared on ABC World News, Fox and several other media outlets. Your name has hundreds of thousands hits on Google and the YouTube video of your speech has an additional 100,000 views. Did you ever possibly anticipate such a large reaction from a simple freshman convocation speech?

Selby:

No, although I feel like no one ever does.

Technique:

How does it feel to see yourself on such large media outlets?

Selby:

I’m enjoying my 15 minutes of fame.

Technique:

Has your life changed at all since the video’s success? Have you received any autograph or photograph requests?

Selby:

It’s gotten a lot more exciting. I’ve been getting a lot of compliments and job offers.

Technique:

If you were invited to be interviewed or featured on any show, which show would you choose?

Selby:

The Daily Show. No contest.

After fewer than seven brief minutes on stage in front of his fellow classmates, Nick Selby has already become a meme, a campus celebrity and an inspiration to the student body as a whole. His 15 minutes of fame may be (self-admittedly) fleeting, but one thing is for

sure:

Next year’s freshman convocation speaker has quite a lot to live up to.