Campus locales offer romantic atmosphere

Photo by Sho Kitamura

During this time of year, love is in the air, and so is a palpable feeling of inescapable tension. Valentine’s Day is rapidly approaching, and couples everywhere are scrambling to find a place to celebrate this often pressure-filled, yet romantic, day.

For couples that would prefer to spend a quiet evening together on campus rather than explore what the city has to offer, there are a variety of options available to them.

Some students agreed that the terrace gardens of the Clough Commons is a great place to celebrate Valentine’s Day.

“I think the terrace is perfect. It’s simple, really quiet most of the time, and it gives you a really amazing view of campus and the Atlanta skyline. It’s such a great place to have some much-needed privacy and be with the person you love,” said Li.

The view was cited as one of the greatest incentives for making a journey up to the top of the Clough Building with a date.

“I think it’s pretty romantic because you can stargaze together, and you can just watch almost anything going on around campus,” Rosten said.

Keeping simplicity and privacy in mind, it can be simple to make Valentine’s Day an occasion to remember at Tech.

On the other end of the spectrum, there are some places that many would not consider a good place to create a memorable romantic moment.

“If my boyfriend took me to Woodruff Dining Hall for Valentine’s Day, I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t be my boyfriend anymore,” said first-year Samantha Rosten.

When asked where the worst possible place to spend Valentine’s Day might be, Rosten had a ready answer.

“If you really want to be single, take your date to a classroom…nothing lets a girl know you hate her more than Calc III,” Rosten said.

Most students also expressed disdain for open and public areas like the Student Center or most of the floors in the Clough Commons building. Insisting that privacy is a large component of a successful Valentine’s Day date, they agreed that a good spot would usually be out of the public eye.

Some students seemed to agree that the worst places to celebrate Valentine’s Day are usually typical places that most people would flock to.

Matthew Callaghan, a third-year, shares an interest in paintball with his girlfriend of two years.

“One of the first things we realized when we started going out was that we both love paintball. We went to Paintball Atlanta once, and we really connected…so this year, we’re planning on playing some paintball, having a good time on the drive, and getting a nice dinner,” Callaghan said.

The spot that is chosen to reveal feelings of affection and admiration to a significant other can be a difficult decision to make, so choosing a quirky spot like Paintball Atlanta may not always be the height of romance. For a less daring option closer to home, many students prefer to spend some time at a peaceful place on campus. Jennifer Han, a second-year, explained that she would like Valentine’s Day to be similar to her first date experience.

“After [my boyfriend and I] went to dinner, we spent two hours at the Campanile just talking. I thought it was really nice…plus, it gives you a nice atmosphere,” Han said.

Others, however, disagree on the idea of the Campanile as a prime date location.

“It’s good to keep things simple, but more often than not it’s hard to get privacy in that kind of public place,” Rosten said.
Others echoed the sentiment that simplicity is a nice quality to have on Valentine’s Day.

“I think a lot of people try too hard in order to have the perfect Valentine’s Day. In my opinion, it’s about just spending a nice day with your girlfriend or boyfriend…just go with something that works for both of you…surprise can be a nice factor, but a lot of the time, even smaller things are pretty nice gestures,” Callaghan said.

Marianne Li, a first-year, insisted that any place with sufficient privacy and a calm atmosphere would be a good spot.

“I think the most important part about Valentine’s Day is just being around your partner and celebrating your relationship…to me, it doesn’t really matter where you are,” Li said.