Alternate fraternities provide various options

Alternative Greek organizations offer opportunities for professional, service, leadership and scholarship advancement. The Alternative Greek Council was created by Greek letter organizations not associated with National Panhellenic Council, Interfraternity Council, Multicultural Greek Council or Collegiate Panhellenic Council.

Since the focus of these organizations is around a professional or service-oriented goal, most are open to any student at Tech, regardless of gender, race, major or other classifications traditional to social fraternities or sororities.

The mission of a professional fraternity is to promote the interests of a particular profession. Professional fraternities aim to cultivate a sense of brotherhood among members, regardless of gender, and advance the positive qualities of members with the ultimate goal of furthering the professional studies through mutually beneficial assistance and support.

A pledge process may be essential prior to acceptance into a professional fraternity as a member, much like in social sororities and fraternities. Membership is a lifelong commitment requiring loyalty and active participation in the organization to assist the posterity of the profession and fraternity membership.

Alpha Kappa Psi (AKPsi), founded in 1904, is known as the “business fraternity,” and was established on the values of business education for members and ultimately the public. According to their website, members describe AKPsi as “a unique, prestigious association of students, professors, graduates and professionals with common interests and goals. They join Alpha Kappa Psi to take advantage of valuable educational, friendship and networking opportunities.”

AKPsi’s goals include an appreciation of higher business ideals and implementing these ideals as reality while furthering individual welfare among members throughout their time at Tech and beyond just the realm of business.

Phi Alpha Delta (PAD), International Law Fraternity, has a Pre Law chapter at Tech dedicated to providing knowledge to students interested in the field of law and who are considering applying to law school.

With a former president, several Supreme Court justices, and countless legislators among the former members of PAD, the fraternity aims to assist students with the rigorous law school application process, including LSAT preparation, and with networking opportunities with local attorneys and judges.

Service fraternities and sororities are organizations with the purpose to further enhancement of the community via a variety of service-oriented activities. Membership is not restrictive and members may belong to another fraternity or sorority.

A few fraternities and the chapters associated with them, particularly those part of the National Pan-Hellenic Council, highlight their community service as a significant part of their fraternity work.

However, classification as a service fraternity is unique due to the legal implications regarding Title IX, and they must be open to members regardless of gender classification. Alpha Phi Omega, a national service fraternity based on the principles of leadership, friendship and service, is one such fraternity at Tech.

“APO was founded by boy scouts and is the only fraternity acknowledged by the Boy Scouts of America. APO is the largest national intercollegiate fraternity, meaning we have the highest number of college chapters nationwide for any Greek organization. We also have chapters in Puerto Rico and the Philippines. The supreme goals across all APO chapters are to foster leadership and friendship and extend ourselves to serve our community, college, fraternity and nation,” said current APO President Erika Tyburski, fourth-year BME major.