Student Speak: National elections evoke mixed feelings

There are only eight months to election day, and the election campaign has already seemed to reach critical mass in the media. Experts, pundits, political analysts and talking-head anchors meticulously dissect the race step by step on 24-hour television—but what do the actual voters, Tech’s students, think?

“Economics and war are my two big make-or-break topics,” said Hunter Clarke, a first-year CS major.

“I am more interested in the GOP candidates because of their stances on the health care system,” said Carrie Simpson, a first-year BME major.

On the subject of individual GOP candidates, feelings are not too strong.

“I am kind of torn, I am not in favor of any candidate because of differences in multiple issues. Ron Paul is the closest but he doesn’t really have a chance,”  Clarke said.

“The conservatives all look comical, and they focus on personal views and attacks rather than general issues,” said David Koehler, an AE grad student.

“Romney stands out the most to me. He has new ideas and plans to bring to the table,” Simpson said.

“Romney is the least abrasive. It is unfortunate that people choose based on a lack of negative qualities rather than number of positive qualities,” said Justin Sheppard, a first-year INTA and BCHM double major.

“I feel like it is the same thing, they make promises but do not deliver. I do not think radical change will happen,” said Joyce Wong, a fourth-year STaC major.

There seems to be a general malaise about this election term. Quite a few average students at Tech do not follow the race or have a strong passion towards either Obama or any GOP candidate. There are few different explanations for this. “Publicity for US elections seems to start too early, I’d lose interest too soon if I were a voter,” Koehler said.

Perhaps the indifferent attitude towards elections can be attributed towards lack of progress with current events and a stagnant economy, and that the widespread American disenchantment of political leaders reflects a seeming impotence of the powers of government.

“I will vote for Obama, I feel like his intent is in the right sphere, it is just that he is operating inside an unfunctional structure,” Sheppard said. Things are sure to pick up as a GOP candidate is nominated, and the war between Democrats and Republicans ensues. At such a time in US politics, it is important for everyone to cast their vote.