Tech celebrates, embraces International women’s day

Tech observes International Women’s Day on March 8 with events that celebrate the strides taken by women in their communities and across the globe. These programs highlight women who have made a difference, and encourage others to follow their example.

“It’s motivation to work harder…an opportunity to appreciate the cultural differences among the women at Tech and to love how despite our differences, we can all come together to appreciate and support one another,” said Sheree Tamaklo, President of the Society of Women Engineers and a third-year NRE major.

On Saturday, March 10, Tech’s Women Alumni Network (WAN) is hosting the forum “Change Your World, Change the World” in the Global Learning Center on campus to honor International Women’s Day.

Several guest speakers will be attending to discuss advancing the professional potential of women. Student tickets are $25 and advanced registration for general admission is $55. This half-day event is the first of its kind that WAN has ever organized.

“One of our board members has wanted to do something for International Women’s Day for several years now and finally it all came together. We’d like to get professional women, and all women really, to start thinking about how to make a difference in the world,” said Terrye Schaetzel, WAN Board member.

In recognition of International Women’s Day, the Center for the Study of Women, Science and Technology sponsored a lecture on March 8 by Jane Daniels, Director of the Women in Science Engineering Program at Purdue University; the first program for women in engineering in the nation. A leading advocate for women’s initiatives in the field of science, Daniels spoke on the theme “Women in Science and Engineering: Policies, Practices, and Potential.”

Women’s Day of Service (WDS), which took place on March 3, is an annual WAM event that engages female Tech students in many different volunteer activities around the Atlanta area.

The first WDS coincided with International Women’s Day in 2008. This year about 50 students participated in various service projects, including a local animal shelter, the Frazer Center for families with disabilities, and the Ahimsa House, an organization that takes in pets of domestic abuse victims.

“WAM as a whole is about building a community and creating opportunities for women and male allies from Tech who are interested in service and women’s issues to have a chance to connect,” said Gwen Hughes, WDS chair and a second-year PUBP major.

Opening remarks for WDS were given by Sarah Perkins, Tech’s Community Service Director.

“In order to create positive social change, we need collective action that engages [everything] from direct service to advocacy and awareness to philanthropy.  Women’s Awareness Month illustrates this spectrum of service and the importance of working together to create change,” Perkins said.