Student voters respond to midterm elections

With the 2010 midterm elections drawing to a close, the political landscape has experienced a significant shift in party control, with a Republicans gaining majority of governors and representatives and a nearly even split in the Senate with Democrats still in control. Data shows that projected total voter turnout was 42 percent of the electorate, which is an increase of 1.2 percent, or 6.2 million people, from the previous midterm election.

Students have different views on major issues, including education.

“My huge deal was education…I’m supporting Deal because he was in favor of getting rid of more [at] the federal and state level and putting [money] into the hands of the local elections. The people in office right now [are] not teachers or in school, and they don’t know what’s going on. So I think, especially at the secondary level, that needs to be reformed,” said Spenser Burch, a first-year BCHM major.

Beyond education, many students consider the government’s decisions about the economy and small businesses important, especially as Tech graduates move into the workforce.

“I think that the biggest issue going on right now is the economy; it’s going to [be] major that we get jobs [so] we can stabilize businesses and help businesses grow,” said Abhishek Thumaty, a first-year ISyE major.

“I think the most important issue is jobs. Job creation, upholding certain current jobs [and] making sure that certain money given to us for jobs is used the right way. That’s all I’m really concerned about because I’m about to graduate, so if there’s not a job out there available for me, I’m not going to be happy with it,” said Zach Gardner, a third-year MGT major.

“One of the two provisions that was on [the ballot is supposed to increase business, but it looked more like [it was] decreasing competition,” said Tobias Smith, a first-year BME major.

Other issues students consider to be major include healthcare, transportation, immigration, abortion, trauma care and ethics.

“Getting people back to work, immigration, forcing the government to have a balanced budget and providing more resources to foster and grow education” are important to Zac Churney, a second-year ME major.