With Valentine’s Day rapidly approaching, a massive wave of pink hearts, red roses, and all things covered in lace draws near.
And during this time, some of us might be painfully aware of Singles Awareness Day. Do not wallow in self-pity. Show the world that you are proud of you single status and celebrate life. Try some of the following activities and have a very happy SAD day.
10. Consume tons of chocolate this Valentine’s Day. It’s the one day of the year your dentist can’t get mad at you for having cavities. He might actually secretly love you for it, as he takes a gander at your pearly whites.
9. Go to the gym and start that cardiovascular workout you’ve been planning to follow. Chances are it was a New Year’s Resolution that you haven’t make good on. So grab a friend and turn loneliness into lean muscle!
8. Go out with your friends. Ladies, have a Heath Ledger movie-marathon and indulge in makeovers. Gentlemen, have a nice, clean, wholesome game of poker.
7. Be creative. Paint! Draw! Write! Be inspired! You might be the next Shakespeare or Van Gogh.
6. Emulate Elmer Fudd and go hunting for rabbits.
5. Give back to the community. Reorganize your closet and donate the clothing you don’t wear anymore. With Valentine’s Day so commercialized these days, giving back could be a great way to counter some of that hype.
4. Flashback to the 90’s and listen to some good music.
3. If you really want to make a scene, go out with a member of the same sex and fake a messy breakup. You’ll be able to disturb the lovebirds around you as well as release that anger you’ve been dying to get out.
2. Enjoy nature. Gaze at the trees, the sky, the birds, and the flowers. Take a breath of fresh air and escape from the commercialism of the day.
1. If you are still upset that you have no one to share this “special“ day with, then this tip might be the one for you. Forget about trying to get away from it all and embrace your misery. Stay at home watching Spanish soap operas and romantic comedies while sobbing into a box of moldy chocolates you still have from your ex. Curse the day that was invented to celebrate love and throw nasty looks at anyone couple who looks remotely happy. I can assure you, you will feel so much better.