Usher steals the show at Super Bowl LVIII

Usher and Alicia Keys singing together at the Super Bowl LVIII halftime show. They were later joined by artists will.i.am and Atlanta native Ludacris for a truly electric performance. // Photo courtesy of AP Photo

Going into halftime with only one touchdown in the whole first half, the Super Bowl had been void of much excitement. Fortunately, the big event of the night for music fans was just about to happen — Usher’s halftime show. As an often repeated quip goes, “Why is there a football game before the Usher concert?”

13 years after initially appearing on the world’s biggest stage alongside the Black Eyed Peas in 2011, Usher finally got his moment to shine. Complete with a mass of backup dancers, a marching band and no less than six guest stars, the singer delivered an electrifying performance and brought the house down in Las Vegas.

He began the show with the song “Caught Up,” while wearing a white-and silver suit. He paid homage to classic Vegas features, including acrobats and dancers with massive, feathered fans. “U Don’t Have To Call,” “Superstar” and “Love In This Club” followed soon after, as did a bright sheen of sweat on his face that would remain for the entirety of his performance. That wasn’t the center of attention for long because he soon brought up his first guest of the night, Alicia Keys.

Keys overcame a first-note flub to deliver stunning vocals on her song, “If I Ain’t Got You” before duetting with Usher on their song, “My Boo,” all while decked out head-to-toe in red sequins — nothing less than expected from the Alicia Keys.

Infamous Atlanta producer Jermaine Dupri then took the stage, acting as Usher’s hype-man before the singer performed a fast medley of “Confessions Part II,” “Nice & Slow,” “Burn” and “U Got it Bad,” ripping off his shirts to reveal an equally sweaty chest.

He exited the stage and let the always glamorous H.E.R. have a fantastic solo moment with an electric guitar before he reappeared on rollerskates wearing an intricately bedazzled blue and black outfit.

His backup dancers also donned roller skates in a halftime-worthy dance routine.

In a sweet callback to his halftime show debut, he brought up Black Eyed Peas member will.i.am to perform a few lines of their hit “OMG,” before Lil Jon appeared in the crowd, leading the audience in an appropriately enthusiastic version of “Turn Down for What.”

Of course, no Usher show is complete without his iconic 2004 hit, “Yeah!” Accompanied by Lil Jon and his most exciting guest star of the night, Atlanta native Ludacris, the three ended the show with a bang.

He concluded the dynamic performance with a shout-out to his hometown of Atlanta, flashing the “Peace up, A-town down” sign as the lights cut out.

It was a Super Bowl-worthy performance that was the most viewed in the event’s history, seen by over 100 million people. Cementing himself in history alongside legendary past halftime show performers, Usher reaffirmed his status as a musician for the ages.