Venice Film Festival: What to expect in cinemas

Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson on the poster for “The Banshees of Inisherin.” The film takes place on the scenic and ancient island of Inismore, Ireland, giving the film a vast, spiritual beauty. // Photo courtesy of Searchlight Pictures

The 79th annual Venice Film Festival concluded on Sept. 10, which debuted movies that are making their way into theaters within the coming months. 

The festival, held in Venice, Italy, is one of the oldest and largest film festivals in the world. Many international media sources cover this event as projects from many different countries are shown.

As many followers of the festival have likely seen, “All the Beauty and the Bloodshed” took home the Golden Lion, which is the highest award given. This documentary, directed by Laura Poitras, tells the story of Nan Goldin. Goldin is a photographer and activist whose work often depicts queerness, intimacy and addiction. 

It is unusual that a documentary wins such a prestigious award, but it is well-deserved. Audiences can see the film in theaters now.

Another notable film that’s been the talk amongst movie lovers is “TÁR.” “TÁR” follows Lydia Tár, a (fictional) world renowned composer and the first-ever female chief conductor. This is Todd Field’s (notable actor and filmmaker) first movie in over 16 years. 

Field specifically wrote the lead role with one actor in mind, saying, “This script was written for one artist, Cate Blanchett. Had she said no, the film would have never seen the light of day.”

Blanchett, a winner of dozens of accolades, including Academy Awards and Golden Globes, is bound to make history with her lead. 

Commentators have already suggested that she will win an Oscar for this film, as she already won Best Actress of the film festival. 

Sure to be filled with powerful feminist commentary, “TÁR” will be released on Oct. 7 in the United States.

With heartthrob Timotheé Chalamet and upcoming talent Taylor Russel, “Bones and All” is sure to make it big in the box office (Chalamet in any form of romance movie will do the trick). 

Director Luca Guadagnino, known for the successful “Call Me by Your Name,” already won a Silver Lion for Best Director at the festival. The film, based on the 2015 novel by Camille DeAngelis, follows two cannibalistic lovers. 

In a post-Cold War era, the lovers embark on a journey across the United States. The release date for the film is set for Nov. 23.

No matter what type of filmgoer you are, there is sure to be a movie coming soon in theaters that fits your taste.

Other notable films

• “The Banshees of Inisherin” (director Martin McDonagh)

A black comedy-drama set in Ireland that was already released on Sept. 5.

• “No Bears” (director Jafar Panahi)

An Iranian love story — filled with parallels and superstition — that won the Special Jury Prize.

• “Saint Omer” (director Alice Diop)

A French film wherein a novelist attends a Senegalese immigrant’s trial.

• “Monica” (director Andrea Pallaoro)

A film about a woman returning to the Midwest to care for her mother.

• “The Whale” (director Darren Aronofsky)

An A24 psychological drama starring Brendan Fraser and Sadie Sink. It will be released on Dec. 9.

• “Blonde” (director Andrew Dominik)

A Netflix movie following iconic actress Marilyn Monroe.

• “White Noise” (director Noah Baumbach)

An apocalyptic black comedy starring Adam Driver, Greta Gerwig and Don Cheadle.

Awards and accolades

• Best Young Actor: Taylor Russel, “Bones and All”
  • Best Actor: Colin Farrell, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
  • Best Actress: Cate Blanchett, “TÁR”
  • Best Screenplay: “The Banshees of Inisherin,” playwright Martin McDonagh
  • Special Jury Prize: “No Bears,” director Jafar Panahi
  • Silver Lion for Best Director: Luca Guadagnino, “Bones and All”
  • Silver Lion Grand Jury Prize: “Saint Omer,” filmmaker Alice Diop
  • Golden Lion: “All the Beauty and the Bloodshed,” Laura Poitras