Food, fun and friends in the new Student Center

Student playing billiards at the John Lewis Student Center’s recreational area, known as Tech Rec. Other than by playing billiards, students can socialize in the bowling alley, the various common areas and at the upcoming Paper and Clay. // Photo by Joey D’Adamio Student Publications

After two years of construction, the long-awaited John Lewis Student Center opened shortly before the fall semester. As COVID-19 and the lack of common space have impacted many people’s college experiences, the presence of a new communal area is sure to bring the student body together. With significantly more space than the old building, the new Student Center has much more to offer.

Recreation

Dozens of hangout and study spaces are present on all three floors, but the first floor definitely has the main attraction: the bowling alley. Older students probably remember having this in the old Student Center. 

You can rent bowling shoes, grab a snack and rent out a lane. After bowling, there’s a few pool tables you can choose from to play at. 

Paper and Clay, another staple of the old center, is also making its debut at the end of the fall semester, so be ready to make yourself a new mug on the pottery wheel.

Dining

The largest collection of dining on campus now resides in the student center, with restaurants including Bento Sushi, Gyro Chef, Campus Crust, There Burger Bar and Test Kitchen. 

Panda Express and Twisted Taco have also been relocated from the Exhibition Hall and West Village Dining Hall, respectively, to create an area with a more cohesive restaurant scene. 

If you don’t have enough time in between classes to sit and eat, Tech it to Go has pre-made snacks and meals you can grab if you decide to pass through on your way.

Services

Besides the main eateries inside, the post office has moved into the student center as well. 

With a more central location on campus, students have easier access to mail than ever before. 

The DuPoe Eye Center was also relocated to this spot, and it is just a short walk away from Stamps Health Student Center. 

Now all of your student health needs are close by and more easily accessible. 

Another Tech merchandise store lies on the main floor as well, with all the Tech gear, school supplies, electronic accessories and snacks you could ever want all in close proximity to each other.

Media

Wrek 91.1 FM and the Technique also have their offices on this floor, and just around the corner lies the second Blue Donkey location on campus. After you’ve finished your editor meeting or worked a shift at Wrek, make sure to grab a 465!

Whether you’re looking for a quick meal, to find a comfortable spot to study or to just hang out with friends, the Student Center has something for you. As the community continues to grow, the campus Student Center is sure to become a hotspot for freshmen, upperclassmen and alumni alike.