Being single does not have to be lonely

SCPC’s annual Night at the Aquarium on Feb. 18 is among the many options of events to fill a single person’s time around Valentine’s Day. // Photo by Julia Balot Student Publications

Valentine’s Day can be a dividing holiday for many. For some, it is an opportunity to appreciate and spend time with romantic partners while others may see the holiday as an overly commercialized and materialistic celebration.

But regardless of where one stands, Valentine’s Day can be a great time to celebrate and share love, and that love doesn’t necessarily have to be between partners.

If you are not in a romantic relationship, you could treat it as a regular day but it could be a chance to practice self-love or spend time with friends or family. If you’re not sure what to do and you don’t want to miss out on the fun, here are a few ideas that don’t require a significant other. 

Staying in and practicing self-care is probably the most accessible and simplest activity that anyone can do. Whether it is binge-watching your favorite TV show, having a spa day, crushing a satisfying workout or cooking yourself a meal, there are plenty of ways to take care of your body and mind.

If you do not have a date for Valentine’s Day, you can always take yourself out on a date. Going to the movies, taking yourself out to your favorite restaurant or enjoying a nice walk at Piedmont Park are all lovely dates you can take yourself on. 

It may be slightly uncomfortable to spend time by yourself, but realizing that you are deserving of doing nice things alone and spending quality time with yourself is a great way to practice self-love.

Here are a few examples of self-date or friend date ideas in the Atlanta area.

The Georgia Aquarium is an iconic staple of Atlanta, and the Student Center Programs Council (SCPC) with support from the Student Government Association (SGA) is presenting GT Night at the Aquarium: Neon Night. 

On Feb. 18th from 6:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m., Georgia Tech students and guests are invited to go to the second-largest aquarium in the world at a discounted price. 

More information on tickets, parking and transportation can be found on Campus tickets. 

For art lovers, an artist collective, The Bakery Atlanta, is promoting an event on Feb. 12 and 13. “Oh Baby,” is a vintage Valentine’s Day art show and market that will be located at 92 Peachtree St. SW with tickets on sale for $5. 

It is described as a Valentines-themed art show with a vintage vibe where guests can appreciate love-themed art pieces as well as purchase unique items. There is limited capacity, but tickets and more information can be found on The Bakery’s Instagram, @thebakeryatlanta

Art lovers can also head down to the High Museum of Art and take advantage of the Second Sunday discount on Feb. 13. According to the High’s website, on the second Sunday of each month, the museum offers free admission for all visitors from 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

This month the High is presenting multiple exhibitions, including KAWS PRINTS, the Obama Portraits Tour and Disrupting Design: Modern Posters, 1900-1940.

If you want to go out on the town, one event where you can get your groove on is at “Bless Yr Heart! A Queer Dance Party” on Feb. 11th at 10:00 p.m. This event is presented by Southern Fried Queer Pride and is located at Eyedrum (515 Ralph David Abernathy Blvd, Atlanta, GA 30312). This 18+ event is calling for anyone who wants to dance and have a good time. 

Go by yourself or with some friends spend the night dancing away to DJ sets by Chel Xi & Malcriada and performances by Miss He, Clyf Hanger and Jacque Strapp.

According to Southern Fried Queer Pride’s website, the door cover is $7–$20 on a sliding scale. Cash, card, CashApp and Venmo are accepted, and no one is turned away at the door for lack of funds.

Valentine’s Day is not only about couples. It’s a day to celebrate love and for those who are single it can be tough, but using the holiday as an opportunity to treat yourself and practice self-care is a great way to change the attitudes around the celebration. 

Use Valentine’s Day to show yourself, family or friends, some love and enjoy the day.