The search for the perfect piece of pizza

An Antico’s pizza is served with a side of olive oil. Antico’s is a popular choice among Home Park residents due to its proximity. // Photo courtesy of tripadvisor.com

Around Tech’s campus, nobody does pizza like Shaq. Aside from the iconic Papa John’s, Tech has a variety of pizza options nearby. From late night study sessions to a night out with friends, there’s always an occasion for pizza. Here are a few places within a quarter mile of campus worth trying in your first year:

Rocky Mountain Pizza

Rocky’s pizza is a familiar, comfort pizza. They serve up one-of-a-kind specialty pizzas (Wing Pizza?! Enough said!) with plenty of cheese on a softer, slightly chewy crust; pizzas come by the slice and up to 16 inch whole pizzas.

Pizza isn’t the only food that Rocky’s offers either — the special for this month is Graci’s Waffle Fries, topped with Cajun spices, chicken, queso, pesto, mushrooms, bacon and feta cheese. As they advertise on their website, Rocky’s has a mission to “create uplifting experiences for our community by being the place to hang out, have good food, cheap drinks, and a great time”, and since they opened in 1996, they’ve been doing just that. Rocky’s is a great place to watch an Atlanta United Game or hang out for a fun night out with friends. Every Tuesday and Thursday at 8:30 PM is trivia night, with prizes for the top three teams. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

And bonus points: you’ll recognize their building’s distinct design in the 2013 film “The Internship,” starring Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn.

Distance from campus: 144.4 feet

Antico-pizza Napoletano

Down the street from Rocky Mountain Pizza Company is Antico. Serving up pizzas from their wood fired brick oven, Antico offers an authentic Napoletana experience. There is a focused selection of pizzas available, combining fresh ingredients in simple ways that let the ingredients speak for themselves. Note that pizza is not sold by the slice here, so be ready to share with friends or be eating leftovers for a while (not a chore by any stretch). Antico offers communal seating, occasional opera music playing in the background and some beautiful murals to enhance your dining experience. Located in Atlanta’s Little Italy, Antico is one of the four restaurants owned by Giovanni Di Palma in this stretch on Hemphill Avenue. If you’re hungry for dessert, gelato is available at Caffe Antico a few steps away. Antico is also a celebrity favorite, with the likes of Paul Rudd and Drew Barrymore having been known to stop in when they’re shooting movies in Atlanta.

Distance from campus: 1056 feet

Atwood’s Pizza Cafe

Tucked away in the ground level of the Biltmore Hotel is the serene Atwood’s Pizza Café. Atwood’s offers a refreshing take on typical pizza with their Neapolitan-style pizza, and each pizza is cooked to order. The crust is always hefty enough to support its toppings and keep its satisfying crunch. There’s plenty of high-end toppings and oil finishes to choose from, with vegan and gluten free options available.

Pizzas are served up to 10’’ ­— perfect to serve one or even to split with anyone special you meet this year.

Located just beyond Tech Square, Atwood’s location suits its variety of menu options — you can grab a bite for lunch before class in Scheller or stop for dinner after a walk.

Atwood’s has been a change of pace with its casual and relaxing atmosphere.

Distance from campus: 242.8 feet

Honorable Mentions farther from campus: Fellini’s, Goodfella’s, Vinny’s, Nancy’s Chicago Pizza, Little Azio