Old town classic provides top quality sandwiches

Photo by Tyler Meuter

Looking at 14th Street in Atlanta, west of I-75, most newcomers would not expect much food-wise. The street mostly consists of houses and storage facilities with an occasional gas station or convenience store thrown into the mix.

However, the street is also littered with one-of-a-kind restaurants in addition to a chain or two. The Silver Skillet, for example, is an Atlanta classic and Moe’s BBQ is a college staple.  A lesser known restaurant, however, is Crazy Cuban, which is a small Cuban sandwich joint tucked into a strip mall next to a convenience store.

Legend has it that Crazy Cuban started years ago from a family recipe. Over time, this recipe passed to different owners, but it has remained just as special. The Cuban sandwiches at Crazy Cuban are comparable to the quality of sandwich one could get at a world-famous Miami restaurant, but are still affordable for a college student. Arguably the best sandwich in the restaurant is a classic Cuban, but they also offer several other selections.

The sandwiches at Crazy Cuban have such juicy, top quality meat that the aroma alone will make the customer almost taste the sandwich. This is combined with just the right amount of mustard and perfectly complimented with a pickle.

One of the best parts of Crazy Cuban is the atmosphere. The restaurant itself feels great, with deck or bar seating. The deck is a great place to relax with friends.

What makes Crazy Cuban so unique, however, is the extremely friendly and skilled staff. Not only do they make superior sandwiches, but they also make customers feel welcome to the point that they feel like a regular on their first visit.

The man at the counter lives up to the name of the store, being crazy in the best kind of way. He jokes with customers and pokes fun at people while they order. If not for the food, restaurant connoisseurs should check Crazy Cuban out just for the restaurant’s amazing staff.

Overall, this is the kind of place every student should visit at some point during their time  at Tech because it is the kind of place people remember long after their college years have ended.