Atlanta prepares for summer of music festivities

Photo courtesy of TomorrowWorld

As schools begin to break for summer, it is time for festival season. Atlanta residents along with people from all the surrounding areas and states will flood the Atlanta area in anticipation of the many music festivals coming. Here is a preview of a few.

Sweetwater 420 Fest

SweetWater will take place in Centennial Olympic Park from Apr. 17-19. The festival will feature bands such as Snoop Dogg, Big Data, Cage the Elephant, Delta Ray, AER and more. It will also include other attractions such as the SweetWater Experience tent which will include 25 unique styles of SweetWater beers.

Shaky Knees

The 3rd Annual Shaky Knees Festival will return to Central Park in Atlanta May 8-10. The lineup includes The Strokes, The Avett Brothers, Tame Impala, Wilco, Pixies, Social Distortion and more. This festival would be a great way to celebrate the end of finals week before the start of the summer semester.

Shaky Boots

Country music stars take on the big city with their Shaky Boots Festival. Just days after Shaky Knees, Shaky Boots makes its debut on May 16. The festival will include names such as Blake Shelton, Brad Paisley, Dierks Bentley, Rascal Flatts, The Band Perry, Justin Moore, Kip Moore, Eli Young Band and Rodney Atkins. For any country music enthusiast, this is the festival for them. It will take place at the KSU Sports and Entertainment Park.

Vans Warped Tour

The Warped Tour is not for the feint of heart. The tour runs from Apr. 7 to Aug. 3 all around the country. This is the biggest rock tour of the year, and if hard metal is your thing, then do not miss Warped. This year it will feature bands such as Never Shout Never, Attila, August Burns Red, Miss May I, H2O, Asking Alexandria, Black Veil Brides, Pierce the Vail, Matchbox Romance and Senses Fail. Even if a student is going home this summer, they may be able to catch the tour in their hometown.

TomorrowWorld

TomorrowWorld is one of the most aesthetically interesting festivals that has ever existed. It  will feel  like  literally  being  transported to a  different world with an indescribable display of light, colors and sets.

It is a electronic music festival located in Chattahoochee Hills, just outside Atlanta. The lineup as of right now includes ATL, Future House, Trance Addict and Smash the House.

Music Midtown

Music Midtown is the most anticipated music festivals for many Tech students. Taking place in the heart of Midtown at Piedmont Park, the festival will be held on September 18 and 19. The two-day festival is jam-packed with indie rock and hip hop performers among others. Given that last year featured Eminem, Bastille and Lorde, this year’s lineup is sure to be super-charged. With the semester being in full swing by the time the festival rolls around, an exciting weekend at Music Midtown would be a good idea.