Band specializes in unique genre blend

There are not many bands that can claim to have found measurable amounts of success around the entire world. Maná, a Latin rock band from Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico is one of those bands.

They have held the title of best-selling Spanish-language rock band since their second album, ¿Donde Jugaràn Los Niños?, was released in 1992. As of 2012, Maná has sold over 30 million albums, played six world tours and won four Grammy’s and seven Latin Grammy’s.

The band is not just recognized for their musical talent and achievements. They have also done a great deal of philanthropy with their fame. This includes founding the Selva Negra foundation, which funds and supports environmental protection projects, and serving as ambassadors for the Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN. They are also not afraid to express their opinions on government, openly supporting President Obama for reelection in 2012 and supporting the Puerto Rico Independence Movement.

Maná’s music draws from many sources of inspiration, and it is the unique blend of Latin rock, ska, pop, reggae and other genres that has made their music well-known throughout the world. Their lyrics broach a wide range of topics, with songs like “Corazon Espinado” from Santana’s album Supernatural that speaks of love to songs like “Justicia, Tierra, y Libertad,” from the album Revoluciòn de Amor, that calls for the eradication of world hunger.

Manà has released 13 albums over the course of 28 years and performed in many countries in the Americas, Europe, Africa and the Middle East. Their latest studio release, En Toda Libertad, is a compilation/mashup album featuring some of the band’s most popular songs, such as “Déjame Entrar” and “Rayando El Sol.” The band stated that the purpose of the album was to give back to the fans of their music by giving them an opportunity to hear those songs in a way they had never heard them before.

As Mexico’s largest musical export, Maná has accomplished a lot. If Maná seems interesting, then one of their compilation albums like En Toda Libertad or Exiliados en la Bahía is a good place to start.