Steve Jobs biopic lacking latest update

Photo courtesy of Open Road Films.

Steven Paul Jobs influenced, and continues to influence, the world and the way we live our day-to-day lives. While many disagree with his practices, attitude or methods, no one can ignore the sheer ingenuity and creativity that Steve Jobs brought to the computer and technology industries.

In response to his recent death, the film Jobs was released last week, Aug. 16, starring Ashton Kutcher as the eponymous lead. Dermot Mulroney, Josh Gad, J. K. Simmons and many more co-star, rounding off a solid cast. Based on true events, the film depicts the early life of Steve Jobs, from dropping out of college in 1972 to his reinstatement as Apple’s CEO in 1997. Most know only the side of Steve Jobs that was seen in the public eye after Apple became so famous—the thin, white-haired, white-bearded, spectacle-wearing man who always wore sneakers and jeans without a belt. But this movie provides the backstory.

Kutcher, while a seemingly surprising choice of actor due to his normally comedic roles, looks and acts incredibly similar to the young Steve Jobs (and even the old Jobs, too). From the clumsy and forward-leaning walk, to the fiery look of motivation and passion, to the haircut and beard, Kutcher becomes Jobs. Throughout the film, it seems as though the actor is in fact Steve Jobs, not the famous 35-year-old Hollywood star. In short, Kutcher performs awesomely. The other actors and actresses put on amazing performances, and look eerily similar to their respective characters from Apple’s history, as well.

The plot seems to lack something, though. Most scenes are almost cut short or disjointed, and there are definitely some holes. Also, Jobs’ persona is the main focus of the film, which could be classified as insensitive, greedy, emotionless and simply mean. From screaming at and firing employees to denying loyal workers company benefits, Steve Jobs does not seem like a great person to hang out with, much less glorify in a two-hour film. The critics have had a field day. However, the movie tells the truth—it depicts Jobs as he actually was. And despite his unconventional methods and actions, this man made a difference in the world. Overall, the film gets a B or B- for quality and entertainment. But just like that one class that may be boring or not perfect, Jobs is very thought provoking. Rarely do we get a chance to see how great companies, things or men are built from the ground up. This movie offers just that. Steve Jobs, whether you love him or hate him as a person, was and is truly inspirational.