La Havas gives praiseworthy show

Photo Courtesy of Nonesuch Records

Lianne La Havas hails from London and is shaping up to be the next big voice in the global music scene. A 23-year old singer, songwriter and guitarist, La Havas is a woman full of unforgettable grace and natural talent. She has already been nominated for awards such as BBC’s Sound of 2012. Additionally, her debut album Is Your Love Big Enough? was awarded the title of iTunes Album of the Year 2012, a testament to the increasing global relevance of her musical style. With a Greek father and Jamaican mother, raised in Tooting and Streatham by her grandparents, La Havas has a unique background which has influenced her diverse music taste. La Havas wrote her first song by age eleven. She attended Norbury Manor Business and Enterprise College for Girls in Croydon, where she studied art. Later on, she left to pursue a career in music full-time.

La Havas signed to Warner Bros. Records in 2010. Her first EP, Lost & Found, was released in October of 2011 on the Labour of Love label. She also released an EP, Live From LA, later that month. While her music has been appreciated by her fans and media, she has also been widely recognized by other musical talents, specifically Alicia Keys, whom she supported last September during the popular Set The World On Fire Tour.

On Apr. 13, this past Saturday, Lianne’s expansive and supportive fan base showed up at Center Stage – The Loft, buzzing with excitement for opening act Jaime N Commons. About forty-five minutes after the first act, the crowd became restless. However, when Lianne came on stage with her subtle but confident smile, the audience went wild with excitement, immediately forgetting about the long break they had just endured.

In short, La Havas put on a glorious performance. With the intimate feel of the The Loft, the singer was given the flexibility to present her charming presence to an audience who knew how to receive it. Her transitions between songs were warm and friendly, as she talked about the feelings behind each song with such a carefree and gratifying manner. As if to drive this point home, she began by saying, “We all make mistakes”; the rest of the show followed in suit. La Havas began the set with “No Room For Doubt.” Throughout the set, she emphasized her love for her fans: “I love you all equally, so can we all be together?” It was comments like these that made listeners believe that they were more than just a fan base; they were a family. One of the highlights of the show was when La Havas requested that everyone stomp and shout in unity, yelling “Is Your Love Big Enough?” The award-winning track caused many a joyful tear.

While most of her songs on her current album are full of angst and sadness, her smile shined through, showing her strength throughout all the hard times. La Havas has had much success throughout the past few years, but it is a shame she is not a household name. It is bound to happen soon though, as she is a true beauty to the eyes, ears and soul.