Theaters offer variety for V-Day

Photo Courtesy of Relativity Media

The stereotypical Valentine’s Day involves a romantic evening with a significant other: a fancy dinner, a sappy romantic movie, roses, chocolates, cards, the whole deal. However, though such images may seem entirely appropriate and quintessentially smooch-worthy, the modern movie box office begs to differ. This year, three movies come out on Feb. 14, and a fourth the next day, leaving a wide range of choices for potential dates on Valentine’s. No doubt these film releases are timed to coincide every year with the day of love, the day in which most couples will head out to the theaters for some late-night entertainment. Therefore, it would seem every movie coming out this weekend would contain copious amounts of romance, love and gooey scenes that warm hearts. This year, however, that is not the case.

Safe Haven will provide that heartfelt story for the stereotypical Valentine’s couple.

Only one film, Safe Haven, will provide that heartfelt story for the stereotypical Valentine’s couple. The movie is based on a Nicholas Sparks novel, which means viewers are guaranteed similar themes to those of The Notebook, A Walk To Remember and Dear John. This PG-13 rated film features Julianne Hough (Footloose) and Josh Duhamel (Transformers) in an emotionally trying romance and adventure story.

In stark contrast, A Good Day to Die Hard, the fifth film in the Die Hard franchise, opens the same day, starring Bruce Willis and boasting yet another action-packed plot. Even the previews are intense, with Beethoven’s dramatic “Ode To Joy” playing over the shattering glass, gunshots and car chases. Needless to say, this R-rated film is not for the faint of heart or opponent of violence in theaters. However, A Good Day to Die Hard is expected to top the box office charts and smash its competition, despite the fact that it is an intense action movie being released on Valentine’s Day.

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, the animated Escape From Planet Earth will be released on Friday, Feb. 15, reaching out to much younger audiences. Featuring the voices of Brendan Fraser, Jessica Alba, Sarah Jessica Parker and Sofia Vergara, among others, this film follows the adventures of an astronaut who travels to a dangerous planet in order to save someone, but ends up in trouble himself. Zany hijinks undoubtedly follow.

The fourth major movie released this Valentine’s season, Beautiful Creatures, delves into the lives of two lovers, only to reveal scarier and darker secrets: witchcraft and spell casting. Starring Emma Thompson (Nanny McPhee) and a cast of teenage heartthrobs, this film combines love and adventure with sci-fi and other-worldliness, a genre in which stories like Twilight are also included.

This weekend’s new releases provide moviegoers with basically one of everything.”

With such an eclectic and miscellaneous list of upcoming movies, which one is the right one to see with a Valentine’s date or friends on the weekend? Obviously, it depends on the viewer’s taste. Couples of all different styles and varieties exist, and they all want to go see a movie that fits their tastes. Though somewhat comical in scope, the spectrum of films being released this weekend encompasses four main categories in the movie production business: romance and love, children’s animation, action-packed thriller and sci-fi adventure. These movies cannot only be applied to different types of individuals, but also most certainly appeal to a range of couples seeing a movie together on Valentine’s. For instance, one might imagine a new couple desiring sappy romance and watching Safe Haven this weekend, while the long-lasting, more mature pair might go see A Good Day To Die Hard for some excitement. Likewise, parents with young children in tow might incorporate Escape From Planet Earth into their date night and make it more of a family night.

All in all, this weekend’s new releases provide moviegoers with various choices of everything, compliments of the day of love.