Peppers relive former glory

Fans of the Red Hot Chili Peppers all around the world have waited too long. Wishes have been fulfilled and the Peppers released their newest album I’m With You on Aug. 29 which follows their previous smash hit release Stadium Arcadium, the album that bagged 5 Grammy Awards and has sold over seven million copies to date, back in 2006.

While Stadium Arcadium featured a wider variety of songs, both in number and melody, I’m With You contains 14 songs of short, crisp length, with Flea’s ripping bass tracks in each and every one. Newfound recruit Josh Klinghoffer serves as the band’s guitarist after the departure of revered John Frusciante in 2009. Leading vocalist Anthony Kiedis, the longest serving member of the band, has maintained his reputation for sudden transitions from flat to high pitches which somehow entices fans all over the world.

Fans will be pleased to know that lyrics which were famous for sudden jumps from drug abuse to girls and to rain have been retained in this album.

The Peppers released a single “The Adventures of Raindance Maggie” in the middle of July this year which has been extremely fruitful. The album features yet another bizarre song name which leaves listeners eager to check it out. A regular trademark of the songs of the Peppers is having the introduction with merely the drums and the bass, with Flea’s silky fingers performing their magic and Smith’s infectious beats that make you head-bang and fingers tap on your steering wheel.
“The Adventures of Raindance Maggie” has also performed well on the charts and reached the number one position on the Billboard rock charts.

Flea mentioned recently in an interview that the album primarily revolved around “themes of life and death.” This statement was released following the making of the song “Brendan’s Death Song,” a track written in the memory of the recent passing of Brendan Mullen, a close friend of the Chili Peppers since the birth of the band. “Brendan’s Death Song” is one which fans would like to call “pure melody,” as it features a slow, acoustic-guitar intro. This memorial track was greatly appreciated, and Kiedis performs some beautiful stretched notes during the bridge. This one’s definitely worth listening to.

“Factory of Faith” has a catchy beat from start to finish with Kiedis focussing less on singing and more on talking to his listeners. The pre-chorus is probably the most enticing section of this song, with some intriguing anaphors which build up the chorus, making this track simply magical.

The Peppers have performed various gigs all around, featuring the usual extravagant body-flinging all over the stage, Flea’s peculiarly colored pants and Kiedis’ ever-shirtless performances. The Peppers have primarily aimed to mix their legendary oldies like “Californication” and “By the Way” with their latest album tracks at their gigs.

The band has cut back on their legendary guitar solos which were featured in nearly every song in Stadium Arcadium, most likely due to their new entrée, Klinghoffer. Fans may have a hard time adjusting to the departure of Frusciante, whose string-bending and vibrato tunes will never be forgotten.

After 28 priceless years, the Chili Peppers have preserved their talent, style and above all their identity.  From the infamous live performances to the songs that spoke about sex and drugs, I’m With You will touch the hearts of millions of fans everywhere.