09/05/10: City Scene

Dragon*Con 2010

Storm troopers, vampires and robots all come to the city again to spend their Labor Day weekend, as Dragon*Con marks its 24th year in Atlanta. Spanning four hotels and numbering over 40,000 attendees as of last year, Dragon*Con is still growing. Tickets for Dragon*Con are still available at $100 for the full weekend. Attendees will have their hands full with over 3500 hours of panels, workshops and contests. Hotly anticipated events include the Dragon*Con Parade down Peachtree St. and not one, but three attempts to make Guinness World History.

AJC Decatur Book Festival

Having launched back in 2006, the AJC Decatur Book Festival is the largest independent book festival in the country and the fifth largest overall. Bringing over 300 authors from across the globe and from every genre in literature, this event will be taking place in downtown Decatur Square and will be free and open to the public. Featured events include the keynote address from Johnathan Franzen, a Pulitzer-quality novelist and the Book Market Street Fair, along with book signings, live music, workshops and more.

Atlanta International Music Festival

Topping off the Labor Day weekend is the Atlanta International Music Festival, held at iconic Underground Atlanta. The festival celebrates Atlanta’s role as a cultural center in the Southeastern U.S and will bring an international spectrum of artists to perform and entertain festival-goers with music, dancing and visual arts. Musical genres to be presented at the festival include jazz, reggae, latin, hip hop, R&B, blues and international music.

John Mayer and Owl City Tour

If you are a John Mayer or Owl City fan, be sure to check them out this coming Wednesday, Sept. 8 at Aaron’s Amphitheatre. Formerly known as Hifi Buys Amphitheatre, this venue is one of the premier concert venues in Atlanta, known for its quality of acoustics rarely found in outdoor concert venues. Grammy-award winner John Mayer is known for his outstanding performances and onstage charisma. Joining him is newcomer Adam Young of Owl City, who this time last year was writing songs in his basement. Tickets are $29 to $70.