Owl City brings synth-pop to lively Tabernacle crowd

Owl City, as well as Paper Route and Lights, visited the Tabernacle in Atlanta on April 20, 2010. The gates opened with a variety of people ranging from 12 to 30. Paper Route opened up the concert of keyboardist and synthesized sounds. The sounds of this American indie rock band from Nashville, TN actually surprised me and left me wanting to discover more. The easy tunes of Paper Route have recently been touring with the bigger names on the Final Riot Tour with Paramore and Jacks Manniquin. Watch out for this band, and the next to bring in bigger followings.

Lights was another band that opened before the featured presentation of Owl City. Legal name now Lights Valerie Poxleitner, but born as Valerie Ann Poxleitner, is a Canadian singer and songwriter with a slightly different flare. Their sound is similar to Owl City with more of an electropop sound, which is lead by her keyboard melody. The energy was all there, with Lights grooving to her own tunes and grooves. This performance definitely set the stage for the highly anticipated Owl City.

As expected, when Owl City was finally about to take stage, a swarm of 12 year old shrills rose to pierce the ear-drums. Adam Young approached the stage to start the beat playing on the drums. Soon the ensemble approached the stage and a full blown symphony of music filled the air. The wacky movements of Adam Young were all improvised on stage. The spot light was only on Adam Young tonight, changing from his Keyboard to electric guitar to acoustics. A well rounded musician that definitely shows his talents live on stage.

Owl City started as a one-man band of Adam Young finding his way to cure his insomnia during his nights at home. His music was produced with electronica and synthesized pop in his ear. His following was first through the MySpace community, which soon blossomed into a full swing publicly signed record and caught the pop culture’s ear. Although the sounds are unconventional to current mainstream music, its uniqueness allows many generations to form likeability to his sound.