City Scene

Story of the Year is an American rock band from St. Louis, Mo. They formed in 1995, and enjoyed plenty of commercial success with their debut album, , and the popular singles “Until the Day I Die” and “Anthem of Our Dying Day”. Since then they have released three more albums, including their latest, this year’s The Constant. They are one of the hardest working bands in the business, constantly touring and recording music. They will be playing this Saturday, April 10 at the Masquerade along with Maylene and the Sons of Disaster and After Midnight Project. Tickets cost only $15, so be sure to check them out.

If you are in the mood for some laughs and good food this weekend, head on over to the Landmark Diner for their weekly show, “Comedy Gold.” This show takes place every Friday and Saturday night, and was voted the best comedy show in Atlanta. Gilbert Lawand and Jarrod Harris are the founders and hosts of this comedy show that features new, up and coming talent. Lawand and Harris are no strangers to comedy themselves, both having performed successfully as comedians for a long time. The talented young performers also have plenty of experience. They have performed everywhere from Comedy Central and Ferguson to Letterman and Leno, as well as many other shows. Parking is free, so be sure to go and check this comedy show out.

This weekend you can check out the film Forces of Nature in Imax at Fernbank Museum of Natural History. This National Geographic film showcases the amazing power of earthquakes, volcanoes, and tornadoes; all in thrilling 3-D. Additionally, the science behind Earth’s fiercest powers is explained as you follow scientists on their quests to understand how these natural disasters work. Audiences will also see what is being done to predict and prepare for these natural disasters. This Imax experience allows you to get a firsthand look at some of the most incredible forces in nature, all in the safety and comfort of your seat. Tickets are only $13, and it will be playing at Fernbank Museum of Natural History until May 2. For more info, visit .

This Friday, April 9 is the first of what organizers hope to be many annual AtlantAmation events. Seven shorts made by local SCAD-Atlanta students will be screened in a festival of shorts showcasing the students’ animated filmmaking abilities. The selected films cover about 90 minutes with different style techniques and stories. Some of the shorts are funny, some are sad, some are heartbreaking and some are dramatic. Just because they are animated does not mean they are appropriate for all ages, however, and some may not be suitable for children. At the end of the screening there will be a question and answer session with the young filmmakers. If you are interested in filmmaking and wish to get a glimpse of what other young people are up to, feel free to attend this AtlantAmation event to be held in the Earl Smith Strand Theater. Tickets are only $8, and it starts at 7 p.m.

In the wake of the recent success of Tim Burton’s film adaptation Alice in Wonderland, the Alliance Theatre at the Woodruff is presenting its own interpretation of the Disney classic in the form of Lookingglass Alice. Much more than just a regular play, it is an extraordinarily entertaining amalgamation between the theatrical and circus. Directed and adapted by David Catlin, the performance will run until May 2. Priced between $20 and $50 dollars, the tickets are well worth the costs. Visit to learn more.