Jay Sean’s album proves catchy, tedious in sound

It seems like every few years we wind up with a brand new hit song that scorches the Top Billboard listings and brings some once no-name newcomer to super stardom. After only a short while this star fails to achieve his previous success and collapses into mediocrity.

The latest potential example of this theory is Jay Sean, the hit British-Indian singer whose latest album, , has become an international hit. Featuring content that’s certainly underwhelming in comparison to his singles, the album features danceable music for any party.

For the most part, his music features songs reminiscent of the Backstreet Boys, Justin Timberlake and other boy band-esque elements. Basic danceable beats and simple recurring melodies laced with a pretty, vaguely feminine voice.

The unique thing about Jay Sean is that he dropped out of medical school to pursue his singing career. He originally began his career with music that blended East and West, using Indian beats and scales with western melodies. This new album contains none of that. In an effort to appeal to a mass audience, Jay Sean appears have a much more rap and R&B-driven focus that is more suited to American and mainstream tastes.

This includes featuring cameo appearances by several big names such as Birdman and Lil Jon. For example, the single “Down” incorporates a section with Lil Jon. While most of the song is entertaining and pleasant to see, Lil Jon’s harsher vocals clash with the Jay Sean’s voice creating an unfortunate dissonance that probably should have been left in the editing room.

However, listening to the alternate “Candlelight Remix” easily solves this problem. Replacing the fast-paced party feel with a lighter, gentler tune for a “romantic” mood, the song also takes away Lil Jon’s cameo, thus clearing up the inconsistencies of the original.

The unfortunate downside to the remix is that Jay Sean isn’t as good of a singer for slow songs. It almost seems like he’s using auto-tune to hide that his sound might be out of pitch. If he’s going to make more slower, poignant ballads, then it’s probably best to ditch the computer equivalent of training wheels.

The single “Do You Remember?” is another highlight of the album. The song is the epitome of uplifting and is arguably the best song on the album. The lyrics promote a feeling of nostalgia, a popular staple of famous songs. Lil Jon, despite his obnoxious vocals, manages not to spoil the song and Jay Sean’s moments are a welcome addition.

Unfortunately, the rest of the album seems to be an imitation of just these two songs. The lyrics are all about love. Jay Sean must really like “the girl” he sings about because apparently there’s no other topic. He seems for the most part to be content with maintaining this boy band level of lyricism and music.

The song “Fire” shows a higher level of energy and rhythm then his other songs. However, the lyrics are no different that anything else in the album. Essentially, the only use for this song is for a DJ who wants to speed up the pace at a party where he’s playing “Down”.

The song “Ride It” seems to be a little better, emphasizing the cooler aspect of a party vibe. With a heavier clapping beat and smoother, flowing vocals, the song will definitely appeal to his American audience more than his British one. This is enhanced by a music video that presents him living a glamorous lifestyle.

Despite some good songs, the album still fails to be anything particularly memorable. Every song reiterates similar rhythms and lyrics, the best of which can be found in his singles. It might be great for parties, but for personal listening this album does nothing but feel boring and tedious.