Haunting Precious inspires

The movie has become an instant hit, as made apparent by its records: highest grossing film for opening weekend in fewer than one-hundred theaters and highest average per screen.

Based on the novel , the film follows the life of Claireece “Precious” Jones (Gabourey Sidibe), a 16-year-old in junior high. She is pregnant with her second child by her father, who only appears in flashback sequences. Though absent, he continues to leave a permanent stain on his daughter’s memory and her relationship with her mother.

Precious’ mother, played by actress Mo’Nique, gives a surprising performance. Known and loved as a bubbling comedic performer, this is her transition into serious dramatic roles. Her hatred and resentment for her husband is translated into jealousy towards her daughter. She constantly demeans her and twice tries to kill Precious.

Precious is held together by her imagination until she is put into an alternative school. The other classmates become her friends and her teacher, the only person to help Precious save herself.

You will have to see this precious film to find out how Precious deals with all of the issues she is facing in her young life.

Dedicated to “All the Precious Girls in the World,” the film is haunting and heartbreaking. Though the film puts the audience in Precious’ head, it is a reminder that you’ll never quite understand what someone else goes through until you watch it happen.