Google’s Chrome browser offers sleek new option

Google defines the internet for a majority of the modern population. It presents a way into the unknown dimensions of the web that we simply cannot comprehend. Over the past five years, Google has filled every unwashed corner of our daily lives with a number of technological creations, and in return, we show our thankfulness and gratitude by helping build it into a billionaire empire. So what is the next big step for this growing corporation? Why, presenting the internet as their own, of course!

Google Chrome, the new open source browser (produced by Google Inc. at the end of 2008) was initiated by the making of Mozilla Firefox back in 2003. Within only a quarter of its launch, it has become the fourth most popular choice ranked below Microsoft’s Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Apple’s Safari. Through an exhaustive analysis and explanation, however, it is no surprise to see how Google Chrome stands among its competitors. It might even be one of the leading browsers of the new modern age.

Designed for smaller programs, one of the most noticeable features would be its operating speed. Proven through several testing programs, Chrome both starts and operates faster than Firefox, both Internet Explorer 7 and 8 and Safari. This is a major plus for students on campus who put their laptops on power saving modes in order to preserve battery power. While Chrome will still run at an acceptable speed at a lower setting performance, the same cannot be said about the others.

As far as the user interface goes, Chrome has all the basic features of the navigation bar such as “back,” “bookmark” and “refresh.” However, Chrome has done away with the title bar as part of the browser’s sleek and simple design. The result of this rearrangement gives the user a much better view of the websites instead of the usual squashed down rectangular shape buried under dozens of add-on bars.

Frequently used basic features such as downloads, tabs, password saving and pop-up blocks are all present within the package after a modification for friendlier usage. The address bar allows for a quick and simple way for the user to search major engines such as Wikipedia, Yahoo and Google all with a simple touch of the “tab” button.

One of the most welcome additions to Google Chrome is the “New Tab” default homepage. This is the page presented whenever Chrome is started and it presents your most visited websites in a clear manner. This becomes a real time-saver both in and outside of class; however, it does promote unconventional laziness.

Though Chrome seems quite solid at first, it is not without faults. Being a new browser system, very few support features (plug-ins, add-ons) are available for its modifications. Also, since it was designed for smaller programs, Chrome has a lower performance capability when it comes to multi-tasking a large number of tabs and websites.

More importantly, in a time when Apple is blossoming with its sleek and modern products, Chrome is sadly not yet compatible with Mac OS nor Linux. This is precisely where the more experienced and tested Firefox or Safari shine over Chrome.

As far as the browser of choice, it is advised to have Chrome in conjunction with one that is able to work with a large workload and memory space such as Firefox, resulting in two versatile browsers that each excels in its own way.

Overall, Chrome is a quite beautiful and workable browser that mainly suffers from its lack of support features, though it is that very same simplicity that makes Chrome stand out. Google Chrome’s future as one of the leading web browsers can only be told through the passing of time.