Buzzworthy & City Scene

Buzzworthy:

Movie: Burn After Reading

The Coen Brothers follow last year’s Oscar-winning masterpiece No Country for Old Men with something a little lighter for the movie crowd. Burn After Reading is a spy-comedy that sports an all-star cast that includes Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Frances McDormand and John Malkovich. Though early reviews for Burn After Reading have been mixed, The Coens certainly have a knack for comedy (The Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona), and this cast is just too solid to pass up. Burn After Reading opens wide today.

Game: Spore

Will Wright, designer of transcendent games including SimCity and The Sims, has created another simulation game (surprise!) for your gaming pleasure.

In Spore, players essentially play God as they control the development and evolution of their own species. The player’s species goes through five distinct phases: Cell, Creature, Tribe, Civilization, and Space; each of the phases presents its own distinct new challenges and problems to solve. Spore was released for both PC and Mac this past Sunday, Sept. 7. Make sure and check out our full review of Spore on page 17.

DVD: The Big Lebowski – 10th Anniversary Limited Edition

This DVD abides. The Coen Brothers’ cult classic is receiving a special-edition DVD worthy of “The Dude” himself. This is not the first time “The Dude,” Walter and Donny have been on DVD, but this 10th Anniversary Edition sports some new extra features. Make sure to fork out the extra cash for the limited edition packaging; the discs come in – wait for it – a bowling ball. Disapproval of this stylish case only proves one thing: you’re obviously not a golfer.

TV: It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Dennis, Mac, Charlie and Dee are returning to Paddy’s Pub next week for the fourth season of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. For those unfamiliar with these narcissistic, awful, yet somehow loveable jerks, the gang constantly finds themselves mixed up in ridiculous situations that range from involvement in the mob to trying out for the Philadelphia Eagles. Not only will you fall in love with this group of friends, but Charlie is guaranteed to become one of your favorite television idiots. It’s Always Sunny premieres Thursday Sept. 18 on FX. Tune in to find out what kinds of crazy shenanigans they manage to get themselves involved with this season.

Album: Metallica’s Death Magnetic

There is probably not anyone left in the world who has not heard of Metallica, but these pioneering metal rockers of the ‘80s are surprisingly still making music. Last we heard from vocalist/guitarist James Hetfield and company was on 2003’s St. Anger. After five years with no new music, Metallica returns with Death Magnetic, which was released Tuesday, Sept. 9.

City Scene

GT Six Flags Night

Tech’s annual night at Six Flags will take place next Friday, Sept. 19 starting at 6 p.m. Ticket prices are currently $13 but will be increasing to $18 after today. Free time tickets for shuttle busses to and from the park are also available.

Indigo Girls Concert

Atlanta’s Indigo Girls, a duo made up of Amy Ray and Emily Saliers, are performing at Chastain Park Amphitheater tomorrow night, Sept. 13 at 8 p.m. Tickets range from $30 to $55.

Egyptian exhibition

The Atlanta Civic Center is hosting National Geographic’s second exhibition of ancient Egyptian artifacts including items from Tutankhamun’s and other pharaohs’ tombs. The exhibition begins on Nov. 15 and lasts through May 2009. Entry prices have not yet been announced.