Spring Break 2008

Spring Break for a college student is a time for a little fun, relaxation and most of all a break from the stress of school. This can often be a trying task on a college budget, so we’ve come up with a few fun, inexpensive and convenient activities for you Tech spring breakers.

Atlanta is filled with things to do; the only problem is finding the right activities for the right prices. We have already eliminated much of your searching time by doing the work for you, so go have some fun!

Fun in the Sun at the Beach

The beach is the classic spring break destination. In theory, it’s also the cheapest: you seldom have to pay to swim, surf or play in the sand.

To save money on gas, carpool with your friends.

There are beaches at Tybee Island and Jekyll Island on the Georgia coast, as well as a limitless number in Florida.

Drunken Unicorn Tunes

Atlanta is a huge music city with tons of venues and great bands. The Drunken Unicorn is a very small venue located just off of Ponce de Leon Avenue. Shows are inexpensive and you can experience music in a very personal atmosphere. Wednesday, Friday and Saturday shows are 21-and-up, and Monday, Tuesday and Thursday shows are 18-and-up.

On March 16 Tilly and the Wall will be performing at 8:30 p.m. and tickets are $12. Why? (that’s the band’s name) is performing on March 18 with tickets costing only $7.

Tickets and show information can be found at thedrunkenunicorn.net.

MomoCon 2008

As some of you may have already heard, Tech’s own anime and gaming convention, MomoCon, is coming to the Student Center on the weekend of March 15-16. Festivities will begin at 10:00 a.m. both mornings and will continue until midnight. There will be a slew of things to do and see, including a dealer’s room, costume contest, karaoke (starting at 7:00 p.m. both nights), new game demos, a free play console room, a performance by pianist Daniel Brown and much more. So if you are stuck on campus for spring break and looking for something fun to do, check it out!

Ferst Center Festivities

The Ferst Center at Tech, as usual, has plenty of events planned to keep you entertained. Quickly approaching is the Friday, March 14th concert of celebrated Chinese pianist Yundi Li, which will begin at 8:00 p.m. He was one of the youngest pianists ever to take top honors at the International Chopin Piano Competition, so if you’re a classical music enthusiast, don’t miss this!

Mindi Abair, a less than traditional, award-winning jazz vocalist and saxophonist, will be performing on March 15 at 8:00 p.m. Ticket information for these and other events can be found on the Ferst Center’s website, www.ferstcenter.gatech.edu.

Coming Soon to Theaters

For all of you moviegoers, there are several films opening within the next few weeks that may or may not be worth seeing. 10,000 B.C., College Road Trip and The Bank Job come out today.

La Misma Luna, which comes out March 21, tells the story of a young boy who crosses the U.S.-Mexican border to be reunited with his mother after his grandmother passes away. Additionally, Horton Hears a Who!, Doomsday and Funny Games U.S. come out on March 14.

March 21 will see the release of Meet the Browns and Drillbit Taylor.

A Little Heaven in Helen

Helen is only an hour and a half from Atlanta and is a re-creation of a German alpine village.

The mountain scenery and old-world architecture are beautiful, and there’s plenty of shopping and sight-seeing, as well as horseback riding, river tubing, golf, fishing, canoeing, hiking and much more. Spring break is the perfect time to explore Helen and to take advantage of all that this lovely little town offers.

Magical World of Coke

One of the best known attractions in Atlanta is the World of Coca-Cola. With its new home next to the Georgia Aquarium, it is sure to be full of things to do. The World of Coke is within walking distance from campus, and adult tickets are only $15 (they can be purchased at woccatlanta.com). Atlanta is the city where Coca Cola was born, so go check it out and see how the Coca Cola Company has adapted to life in over 200 different countries!

Going Wild: Zoo Atlanta

Zoo Atlanta is a must-see that anyone can enjoy. With hundreds of different animal species and affordable ticket prices, the zoo is a great option for anybody looking for a fun afternoon activity. Zoo Atlanta is open from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., with tickets costing $17.99 for adults. You can purchase tickets at zooatlanta.org or at the ticket booth outside of the zoo.