Mason making a big impact in final season

Photo by John Nakano

Having finally beaten Virginia Tech after five years of brutal defeats, the Jackets have every reason to celebrate being 4-0 for the first time since 2011.

For senior offensive right guard Shaquille Mason, the game versus Virginia Tech was a career-best performance.

“I feel pretty good about it, I mean I feel like it was definitely one of my best games since I’ve been here, and it means a lot because, you know, last year we came up short playing against them,” Mason said. “So I mean it just felt good to get that win and really play to the best of my ability like I did last weekend, so it’s just a big weight off my shoulders.”

Mason wasn’t the only one who felt good about his performance against Virginia Tech. Head Coach Paul Johnson also expressed pride in Mason’s performance against the Hokies two Saturdays ago.

“Mason probably had his best game. I thought he played one of his best games,” Johnson said.

Mason’s performance against Virginia Tech was a memorable one.

His prowess on the field against the Hokies earned him offensive player of the week.

After beating the Hokies, Georgia Tech began to get votes in both the AP poll and Coaches poll. Many media pundits began to give the Jackets credit for their effort this season. Georgia Tech isn’t getting the most attention in the coastal division, but they have slowy worked thier way up to being a conteder.

But, Mason is not letting success get to his head: he is staying grounded and looking forward to a successful game against Miami.

With the Jackets flourishing and Mason’s career growing more and more successful, Georgia Tech has a lot to look forward to this season.

Known for their speed on the field, Miami may not be a stroll in the park for the Jackets. Mason is staying positive and preparing for an even better performance in the Miami game on October 4th.

“Of course we know they are going to be flying around,” Mason explained, “and we’re just going to have to match their intensity, which I know we can do.”

Mason’s confidence in Georgia Tech’s ability to match Miami’s skill on the field comes from three years of starting experience on the offensive line.

“Basically, it’s no different than preparing for any other game,” Mason explained when asked how the team is preparing for the Miami game. “Just staying focused and not getting caught up in all the hype. Going out there playing our game and taking care of what we can take care of.”

This season’s first four performances have given fans hope going into the Miami game. It hasn’t been pretty, but Georgia Tech has come away with victories.

However, every team has its struggles, and there are a few things the Jackets are working to improve.

“I would say our biggest thing to get over is putting together two good halves.” Mason commented. “I mean we did a pretty good job doing that against Virginia Tech. We still didn’t play to the best of our ability, but we made enough plays and a lot of plays that mattered when it mattered the most. So, I mean, we just all came together as a team, but I think putting together two good halves is the focus.”

If the Jackets can stay focused on playing two fantastic halves, the whiteout game versus Miami should not let down our fans’ high expectations.

Georgia Tech fans can rest easy at night knowing that the team is continuing to prepare and improve as the season progresses. Mason’s performance against Virginia Tech leaves fans hopeful for a win against Miami and a successful rest of the season.