UGA shuts Tech out at Turner Field

It was a blowout in Atlanta Tuesday night as The University of Georgia defeated Tech 17-0, breaking a Tech three game winning streak between the two. With the loss, the Jackets fall to 27-14 (11-10 ACC) on the season.

Tech was never really in the game after allowing ten hits, all singles, in the first three innings, and giving up seven runs. Six UGA pitchers combined for the shutout, allowing only five hits. The Bulldogs out hit the Jackets 23-5.

UGA first baseman Daniel Nichols finished 2-5 with two RBIs and two runs, and third baseman Curt Powell finished 4-5, with two RBIs and two walks.

It was a blowout in Atlanta Tuesday night as The University of Georgia defeated Tech 17-0.

Bryan Benzor picked up the win for the Bulldogs after pitching three innings while striking out four batters and walking none. Freshman Kevin King received the loss for the Tech after giving up four earned runs in two innings, and falls to 3-3 on the season.

Georgia threatened in the top of the first after Curt Powell led off the game with an infield single, and then advanced to second on fielder’s choice. Left fielder Hunter Cole followed up with a line drive single to left. With runners on the corners with one out and two strikes, UGA attempted a double steal, but King got designated hitter Jared Walsh to strike out and the Jackets threw out Powell on a 2-6-2 putout.

Junior left fielder Kyle Wren led the Tech half of the first inning off with a single, but was stranded there after UGA starter Bryan Benzor retired the next three Tech batters in order.

Catcher Zack Bowers and first basemen Daniel Nichols started off the top of the second with back-to-back singles, and both advanced a base on a sacrifice bunt by right fielder Heath Holder. Center fielder Justin Bryan, who was batting only .085 on the season, hit a line drive single to left field, scoring Bowers and putting the Bulldogs up 1-0. UGA would add anther run on go a sacrifice fly by second baseman Nelson Ward to increase the lead to 2-0. After walking Powell, King got out of the inning by getting Kyle Farmer to fly out to left field.

First baseman A.J. Murray and second baseman Thomas Smith were both hit by pitches in the bottom of the second, but once again Tech was unable to get a run across.

UGA added to their lead in the top of the third. Back to back singles from Cole and Walsh to lead off the inning would end the night for King. Tech brought in Josh Heddinger to face Zack Bowers with runners on the corners and no outs. Bowers singled to left field to score Cole and put the Bulldogs up 3-0. After getting Daniel Nichols to fly out for the first out of the inning, Heddinger walked pinch hitter Sean McLaughlin to load the bases. Justin Bryan followed up with a single that scored two, and the Dogs would another run on a sacrifice fly by Ward to increase their lead to 6-0. A single by Powell would score Bryan to make it 7-0. The Jackets would finally get out of the inning after Kyle Farmer grounded out for the third out.

Tech threatened in the bottom of the fifth after a Mott Hyde single followed by a Thomas Smith walk to put two on with no outs. Michael Hodorowski would pinch hit for Spingola, and would strike out for the first out of the inning. UGA pitcher Blake Dieterich would then get Wren to ground into a fielder’s choice and Brandon Thomas to pop out to end the inning.

UGA would continue to pour it on adding another run in the top of the sixth on a single by Hunter Cole that scored Nelson Ward to increase the lead to eight. The Bulldogs would add three more to the lead in the inning to make the score 11-0 heading into the bottom half of the sixth, where Tech was held scoreless.

UGA scored five more in the seventh, and one more in the ninth to make the final score 17-0.

The rubber game of the series will be on May 14 at Russ Chandler Stadium. Tech will be looking to win the series over the Bulldogs for the fourth consecutive season.