Women’s tennis improves to 5-4

Photo by David Van

The Yellow Jacket Women’s tennis team hosted the Miami (Ohio) Redhawks early Sunday morning at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex, and earned a 4-0 victory in the sweep. Tech, now ranked No. 41 in the nation, has broken the .500 mark and advanced to 5-4 this year. The Redhawks dropped to 4-7.

To start things off, Tech raced to two convincing doubles victories to earn the doubles point for the sixth time out of their last nine matches. Freshmen duo Megan Kurey and Kendal Woodard defeated Miami’s Alix Thurman and Christine Guerazzi 8-4, and senior Elizabeth Kilborn paired with sophomore Jasmine Minor, for the second time this season, to cruise to an 8-2 victory.

The Yellow Jackets ended the morning play in Tech’s favor.

Kilborn and Minor moved to an undefeated 2-0 as a tandem. Sophomore Muriel Wacker and freshman Natasha Prokhnevska held a large lead before their match was left unfinished, after the Jackets clinched the doubles point.

The sweep continued with impressive victories in singles play, led by Wacker’s quick work of Ana Rajkovic 6-2, 6-1, at the No. 4 spot. Kurey followed suit, with a similar 6-2, 6-2 score over the Redhawks’ Guerazzi. Wilmington, Del. native Prokhnevska sealed the deal, closing out a 6-2, 6-1 defeat of UMO’s Nimisha Mohan. Overall, the matches were noted by particularly strong performances from Tech’s freshman and sophomore classes.

The Jackets ended the morning play quickly in their own favor, with the final score, 4-0.

Next on Tech’s radar are the University of Miami (FL) Hurricanes, as they visit the Ken Byers Tennis Complex on Saturday, March 9, beginning at 12 p.m. Tech will be looking for their first conference victory.