Conference releases 2013 football opponents

The 2013 opponents for the Georgia Tech football have been announced by the ACC. The schedule consists of seven home games, and five away games.

The ACC was forced to make changes to original 2013 conference schedules due to the additions of Pittsburgh and Syracuse. Pittsburgh will join Georgia Tech in the Coastal Division, while Syracuse will become a member of the Atlantic Division.

Home games for the Jackets include Elon, Alabama A&M, Virginia Tech, UGA and both of the new ACC members—Pittsburgh and Syracuse. Before conference realignment, Georgia Tech was scheduled to play Florida State as one of its two cross-divisional
matchups, but the Seminoles were replaced by Pittsburgh.

Georgia Tech will play away games at Brigham Young, Duke, Miami, Virginia and for the second year in row at Clemson.
Although it appears unfair that Georgia Tech will have to travel to Clemson for the second year in a row, it could end up working out well for Georgia Tech. Since 2006, Georgia Tech has played Clemson, Virginia Tech and UGA at home during the same season; then all three of them on the road the next season.

Games against Clemson, Virginia Tech and UGA are considered three of Georgia Tech’s most appealing annual matchups to the majority of Georgia Tech fans. Games against these three opponents were the three most attended games at Bobby Dodd in both 2009 and 2011. By playing at Clemson two years in a row, Georgia Tech will now host Clemson during even years, and UGA and Virginia Tech during odd years. This could help balance out the high variation of season ticket sales that Georgia Tech has seen from even to odd years.