Tech tennis shows well at USTA/ITA Regionals

Tech’s men’s and women’s tennis teams completed a successful USTA/ITA regional tournament over the last week by placing eight athletes in the main draw and winning an impressive doubles championship.

Freshman men’s player Garrett Gordon qualified for the tournament with two wins the Thursday before the tournament began, joining senior Juan Spir, senior Juan Melian, freshman Nathan Rakitt, and sophomore Vikram Hundal as entrants into the tournament. Freshman Anish Sharma also had an opportunity to qualify for the tournament but fell short in his qualifying match.

For the women’s side, senior Elizabeth Kilborn and freshman Kendal Woodard won four doubles matches to go along with freshman Megan Kurey’s two victories and sophomore Jasmine Minor’s three.

But the biggest story of the weekend was the impressive doubles display of Spir and Hundal, who finished off an undefeated five match run that culminated in an 8-3 victory over a duo from No. 3 North Florida in the championship game. Spir won for the second year in a row—last year with senior Kevin King—and became Tech’s all-time doubles win record holder, tied with Sergio Aguirre who won 82 games from 1997-2001. The win qualifies the duo for the USTA/ITA National Indoor Championships to be held in November in New York.