ACC to keep eight-game conference play

The future scheduling formats for the ACC in football, basketball and baseball were announced on Oct. 3 by ACC Commissioner John Swofford.

“The addition of Notre Dame gives us an opportunity to reinforce a number of conference rivalries in basketball and Olympic sports while also giving our schools greater flexibility in nonconference football scheduling,” Swofford said, according to theacc.com. “With Pitt, Syracuse and Notre Dame joining us, it is an exciting time in our league and our schools have made decisions that position us extremely well for the future.”

When Notre Dame joined the ACC, they agreed to play five ACC opponents in football every year. Beginning in 2013, the ACC will feature an eight-game conference schedule. Previously announced divisions, rotating opponents from opposite divisions and primary crossover opponents will remain the same, despite the changes in the conference schedule.

In basketball, every team in the ACC will continue to play an 18-game conference schedule based on a two-partner format. While each team will play every other team in the league at least once, teams will also face their two-partner teams twice each season. Tech’s two partner teams will include Clemson and Notre Dame.

For ACC baseball, the 10 best teams will be featured in a six-day event for the ACC Championship beginning in the 2014 season. Tuesday through Friday will include double-elimination games, while beginning on Saturday there will only be single-elimination games. The championship game will be played on Sunday.

Should any ACC institution be deemed ineligible for postseason tournaments or competition because of NCAA penalties, that institution will also be ineligible for any recognition earned in the regular season or for its division.