Volleyball takes two of three non-conference games

The Tech volleyball team travelled to the Indiana Hoosiers’ campus over the holiday weekend to take part in the Indiana Invitational. The team entered the weekend undefeated at 3-0, but did not escape unscathed as they lost to host Indiana in the finale after beating Bowling Green and Cleveland State.

The Jackets began the Invitational against the then-winless Bowling Green Falcons on Friday afternoon, and defeated them 3 sets to 1 (25-17, 19-25, 25-17, 25-17).

Senior Monique Mead led the way during the first set, recording a kill and two service aces. She finished the day with 12 kills and 10 digs, and Tech held on to its lead to take the first set 25-17.

Bowling Green started off fast and took an early 9-3 lead and went on to win the second set. The Falcons pulled to within three during the third set, but could not get closer as Tech closed out the set on an 8-4 run. Senior Bailey Hunter lead the team to victory in the fourth set with 14 kills.

Tech faced the Cleveland State Vikings the next morning and swept them, 3-0 (25-14, 25-20, 25-20). The Jackets had a combined .416 attacking average, compared to .244 for CSU, and five players each hit over .350 on the match.

The Jackets were unable to stay undefeated on the season as they lost a highly competitive match to the Indiana Hoosiers Saturday night 3-1 (27-29, 25-27, 25-22, 23-25). The win for the Hoosiers and the loss for Tech brought both teams’ records to 5-1.

The first set was a hard-fought battle which included five lead changes and eleven ties. The Jackets were one point away from winning the set with the score at 24-21, but three straight kills by the Hoosiers gave the first set to Indiana.

Tech lead the majority of the second set, but a Hoosiers comeback and won the set with a score of 27-25. The third set saw a momentum swing in Tech’s favor. Mead and senior Annie Czarnecki each hit at a .500 average in the set en route to a 25-22 victory that saw nine ties and three lead changes.

That would prove to be the only Jackets victory on the night as Indiana took the next set and the match.

Mead and Czarnecki combined for 34 kills on the night, Hunter recorded a double-double and senior Nicki Meyer put up 11 digs. Hunter and Mead were named to the Indiana All-Tournament team for their efforts.

The Jackets returned home to host the Slovenian National team in an exhibition match on Wednesday. Meyer had a season-high 18 digs, while Hunter had 11 kills and junior Kayleigh Colson made 22 assists.

They will follow that with a trip to Gainsville, Fl., to play in the Florida Active Ankle Challenge, where they will face Louisiana-Lafayette, Jacksonville, and No. 18 Florida.