Head coaches bring experience, winning tradition to Tech

Paul Johnson – Football

Johnson is entering his fourth year at Tech, implementing his high powered spread option offense. Under Johnson, the Jackets have a 25-14 record and are 16-8 in ACC play. Johnson has won more games in his first three seasons than any other coach in Tech history.
Before coming to Tech, Johnson was successful as the head coach at Georgia Southern from 1997-2001 and Navy from 2002-07. Johnson sports an impressive 132-53 career record and led Tech to a No. 7 ranking in the 2009 season, their highest ranking since 1999.

Brian Gregory – Basketball

Gregory was hired as the 13th head basketball coach by Tech on March 28, 2011 after the men’s basketball program had struggled to live up to expectations since 2004. Gregory comes to Tech after coaching at Dayton from 2003-11.
Under his guidance, Dayton University went to the NCAA Tournament two times, and made three NIT appearances. The Flyers won the NIT Championship in the 2009-10 season and compiled a 172-94 record under Gregory’s tenure.

MaChelle Joseph – WBB

Joseph is entering her ninth season as the head coach of the women’s basketball team, leading the team to five straight 20-win seasons and compiling a 153-97 record. She became the fastest coach to reach 150 wins while leading the team to five straight NCAA Tournament appearances.
Joseph has established stability and a winning tradition to the program, contending in the ACC and national spotlight.

Danny Hall – Baseball

Hall enters his 18th season at Tech as the all-time winningest baseball coach in school history with 737 wins. The Jackets have been to the NCAA Tournament 15 times in his career and been to the College World Series in 1994, 2002 and 2006. He is the only coach in school history to reach the College World Series in Omaha.
Since taking over the program, Hall averages 43 wins per season and has helped 92 of his players be drafted by the MLB on 103 occasions.

Bruce Heppler – Golf

Going into his 16th year as head coach, Heppler has established Tech as a powerhouse golf program that is well known throughout the nation. During his tenure, the Jackets have been to the NCAA Tournament every year since 1998 and have had nine top-8 finishes in the Finals.
Tech has not finished lower than 14th in any year since 2000 and has won the outright ACC title each of the last three seasons.

Sharon Perkins – Softball

Perkins enters her fifth season at Tech after winning ACC Coach of the Year twice in her first four seasons. During her tenure, Tech has more ACC wins than any other school and has seen its highest national ranking in school history at No. 7.
The Jackets have won the ACC regular season and tournament title for the last two seasons and spent the entire 2010 season ranked in the NFCA top 25 poll for the first time in school history.

Kenny Thorne – Men’s Tennis

After a successful career as a player at Tech, Thorne returned to his alma mater to coach the men’s tennis team to a high level. Thorne goes into his 13th season as head coach after a successful 21 win season in 2010-11.
The Jackets finished 13th in the nation and reached the round of 16 in the NCAA tournament, both high marks for Tech under Thorne. Thorne was recently surpassed by former Tech standout Guillermo Gomez, breaking his original record for the most career singles wins in school history.

Bryan Shelton – Men’s Tennis

Shelton enters his 12th season as one of the most successful coaches in school history, being one of only five Tech coaches to guide a team to a national championship. The Jackets have won the NCAA title once, and two indoor ITA national titles during his tenure.
Shelton has earned ACC Coach of the Year honors four times during his career, and was named the 2007 ITA Coach of the year.
Going into the 2011-12 season, he has compiled a .697 winning percentage with a 198-86 record at Tech.

Tonya Johnson – Volleyball

Johnson enters her third season as the head coach of women’s volleyball at Tech as the seventh coach in school history.
In her first season at the helm, Johnson led the Jackets to a 21-10 record and their first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2004.