Shumpert drafted to NY Knicks

Former Tech point guard Iman Shumpert became the 18th first round pick from Tech when he was selected with the No. 17 overall pick in the NBA draft. The New York Knicks were looking to address defensive needs when they picked Shumpert as the second Tech player to ever be selected by the Knicks.

When Shumpert elected to enter the draft on May 3, he was inititally viewed as a second-round or undrafted pick, but he impressed the scouts at the NBA draft combine to raise his stock.

When he entered the draft, he was projected toward the end of the second round, but he boosted his status over the weeks before the draft and was projected as high as the No. 13 overall pick by some. His athleticism and defensive ability made him a viable option for many teams to use as a strong bench option.

However, there was great variability in the projections, with some putting him as low as a second-round pick at No. 51 to the Portland Trail Blazers despite his supposed rise.

Shumpert had his best season in 2010-11, finishing as an ACC All-Defensive player and a second team All-ACC selection. He finished the season leading the team in scoring, rebounds, assists, and steals. He was also fourth in the conference in scoring, 10th in assists and first in steals.

On Jan. 25, Shumpert became the first player in Tech history to score a triple double in ACC play, with 22 points, 11 rebounds and 11 assists. It was also the fourth triple-double in Tech history.

Shumpert finished his career as a Jacket with 1,166 points, putting him at No. 32 overall in Tech school history. He also was No. 11 in assists with 382, and No. 4 in steals with 207.